Habitat - Indoor :: 75 gallon tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm   75 gallon tank

I'm soon moving my turtle into the tank I got a 300W Finnex tank heater I assume 300W is enough probably going to end up with the Fluval FX4 is the water circulation going to be enough? What about tank decorations?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 am   Re: 75 gallon tank

It should be enough. Some would go a little bigger with the filter. What kind of decorations do you have now? Any substrate? If you haven't done anything with the basking area, I think cork bark works pretty well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 am   Re: 75 gallon tank

I was going to use this for the basking area but not sure what to put for a cover for the tank

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085L ... UTF8&psc=1

for substrate I don't have any I used to in the 20 gal I had before but I think it was too much and too little space because that with the live plants everything became a target I would like to put a few in the tank so I should go with the FX6 instead? What about plants?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:29 am   Re: 75 gallon tank

That looks pretty interesting, I have not seen that specific one before. FX6 might be overkill, depending on the water levels. If you plan on filling it to the top, then the FX6 would be a better choice. As for plants, it really depends on the turtle but it usually doesn't seem like it does well with indoor tanks. If the water level will be high, you can make your own tank cover with egg crate, or plexiglass if you have some of the skills necessary for that. If not, and you just want to cover the top hen egg crate will also work, and I've seen a nice one using wire shelving.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 am   Re: 75 gallon tank

What type of plants do you suggest and substrate?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

Pool filter sand works well, though you can leave it mostly bare and add a few large river rocks for decoration. there are some aquatics listed here http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:44 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

I have a question how high above the sand should the intake be?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

Depends on the sand, but a few inches should do it. You might want to put some sort of pre-filter for the initial setup as there would be a lot of settling that needs to happen.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:12 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

steve wrote:Pool filter sand works well, though you can leave it mostly bare and add a few large river rocks for decoration.

Isn't there a risk of the turtle eating the sand? Is sand easier to clean/keep clean then river rocks?
LaoiseM

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:12 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

Yes, there is a risk. Waste should settle on top of the sand. If you only have a handful of river rock, that should be easier to clean. Too much rock and it can be a hassle as much of the waste can get trapped.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:46 am   Re: 75 gallon tank

steve wrote:Too much rock and it can be a hassle as much of the waste can get trapped.

Right now that's all we have in there is river rock and yes, that is exactly what is happening. I'm just trying to come up with a better solution
LaoiseM

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:39 pm   Re: 75 gallon tank

Fewer pieces is fine. I have to keep both my tank bottoms bare.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor