Equipment Review and Discussion :: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am   Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Some very common questions repeated on this forum are:
Are there any easy ways to change water from our aquariums?
How do I clean my substrate?
Which water conditioners should be used?

Aqueon, Python and a few other brands manufacture a water changer system that attaches to your faucet. Many users on this forum find these water changer tools to be very effective time saving devices and are often highly recommended in many threads. In addition to changing water, these tools also serve as an aquarium vacuum making substrate cleaning a very easy chore.

It is best to not use any water conditioning chemicals. Most water conditioners (not all) contain a chemical called sodium theosulfate which is highly toxic to aquatic life according to the MSDS sheet. Our turtles drink the water they live in so the less chemicals in the environment the better. Without the use of water conditioning chemicals, we can achieve the same desired result of removing chlorine and chloramine from tap water by passing the water through a carbon filter. The use of carbon filtration does not add any chemicals to the habitat of our :mrgreen: friends.

The following plan integrates both water changer and tap water filter into a single device.

Parts List
QTY 1 needed: Aqueon or Python Brand water changer
QTY 1 needed: Filter Body w/ bypass valve & Carbon Filter
QTY 2 needed: 3/4" MIP x 5/8" barb
QTY 2 needed: Hose Clamp

Assembly (5 minutes)
  1. Install the carbon filter into the filter housing according to the directions that come with the filter housing
  2. Screw one hose barb adapter into each of the two ports on the filter housing. Teflon tape might be needed on the hose barb threads for a water-tight seal.
  3. Assemble the Aqueon or Python water changer according to the directions that come with the water changer.
  4. Cut the water changer tubing about a foot from the end where the water changer system attaches to the faucet.
  5. Slide the end of the tubing coming from the water changer faucet feed over the hose barb on the IN port of the filter housing.
  6. Slide the other end of the tubing going toward the fill/vacuum wand over the hose barb on the OUT side of the filter housing.
  7. Attach and tighten hose clamps to help hold the hose secure to the hose barbs.

Usage
  • When filling tank, position the valve atop the filter body to allow water to pass through the carbon filter media. This will filter incoming tap water for chlorine, chloramine, minerals, and other sediment.
  • When removing water from tank, position the valve atop the filter body to "bypass" so that dirty water leaving the tank does not enter the filter body and is returned directly to your drain.

water_changer_filter.png

Parts

Whole house water filter with integrated bypass valve (shown with carbon filter removed from filter body)
water_filter.jpg

Hose Barb to MIP adapter
hose_barb.jpg
hose_barb.jpg (2.56 KiB) Viewed 51789 times

Water Changer System
water_changer.jpg
water_changer.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 51754 times

Hose Clamps.
hose_clamps.jpg
hose_clamps.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 51788 times
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Tried it. Love it. Thanks!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Besides the water changer, which I have, is the rest of this stuff available at home depot, lowes, ace hardware or leslie pool supply? I want to tackle it this weekend and would prefer to buy the supplies locally.
1 YBS ~ Squirtle
4 Mini Doxies ~ Pebbles, Sam, Donut & Rosco
2 Snails ~ Bluey and Jerry
sweety10189110

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:07 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I purchased mine online, but since it isn't a pet-specific product, you may find it elsewhere. You can call around. As my mother used to remind me, "let your fingers do the walking" (AKA call around) ...it saves gas :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Everything other than the water changer is available at your local hardware store.

Glad you liked it Penelope.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Thanks VeipaCray!!! The tank is due for a cleaning this weekend so perfect timing to try it out :).
1 YBS ~ Squirtle
4 Mini Doxies ~ Pebbles, Sam, Donut & Rosco
2 Snails ~ Bluey and Jerry
sweety10189110

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:30 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

let me ask you this. all i need to do is run the water through carbon before it gos in the tank and its good right?
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:40 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Pretty much yes. The carbon will remove chlorine, chloramine and a few other nasty things in your tap water instead of using water conditioning chemicals.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:28 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Great idea!

Suppose I wanted to implement something like this tonight - with no additional supplies. Would it suffice to take a nylon mesh bag filled with activated carbon and push it into the mouth of the water changer so that the water is passing through it as the tank fills?
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

The concept is there but not sure about the execution. With the water filter system, the water is forced to pass through carbon (no bypass). By just stuffing some carbon into the mouth of the water changer.... it's possible that some water will bypass the carbon as water follows the path of least resistance.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Wow great idea! I have my turtles set up in my "turtle room" workshop located in my basement which is next to our laundry area where i have access to our sink. I have been using my Python style siphon to clean / fil the tank. I have been using the dechlorinator liquid to condition the water. The brand that im using I cant remember but i bought it at the petshop. Never thought that it would be harmful to our turtles. Im going to try and implement this idea for two reasons. #1 the improved health of my sliders and #2 the huge savings on the water conditioner. That stuff is expensive! and with the frequency of water changes that cost adds up. Those filters last for 15,000 gallons!! Thats amazing! Great work!
opflash

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Oh yes! I just finished purchasing all the required pieces needed to do this. I picked up the DuPont universal whole house filter
With universal 800 series carbon wrap 2 phase cartridge it states 15000 gallon filter life. I'm going to set this up today! I'm going to try and post some pictures of the setup also.
opflash

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Yes please post pictures. I should have taken some of mine as I was building it. Make sure you leave enough hose between the faucet and the filter body so you can place the filter wherever you'd like.

Even though it says 15000 gallon filter life, I still change mine once or twice a year. It's a $4 filter at my local store.

Where in Chicago are you? I'm out in the west suburbs... got all the filter body parts from Menards.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Is there a specific series needed? I was looking at the DuPont website, it looks like they have a couple that are similar.
MerryMenagerie

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:20 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I don't think so, though similar models might be made for different or foreign markets… just named/numbered differently.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion