General Care Discussion :: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:15 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I was originally planning to get some gravel for my turtle but after reading this I'm now like "nevermind." Thanks for the information.
sagoy

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:45 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I did have a substrate in my tank, but it was a gentle sand and my turtles ate it all the time. They'll eat anything, but they like my fingers the most :P
UniversityGirl

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:46 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

UniversityGirl wrote:I did have a substrate in my tank, but it was a gentle sand and my turtles ate it all the time. They'll eat anything, but they like my fingers the most :P

sand is ok to have bc its so small it will pass through them with no harm
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:45 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

If anyone has info on the product I posted viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27296 let us know.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Doesn't seem much different than gravel.. :|
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

steve wrote:Doesn't seem much different than gravel.. :|

And that's what scares me. So to anyone new make sure you don't get scammed into this product thinking its probably safe since the package says so.
Listen97

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Listen97 wrote:
steve wrote:Doesn't seem much different than gravel.. :|

And that's what scares me. So to anyone new make sure you don't get scammed into this product thinking its probably safe since the package says so.

Did you read the description?

* Aquatic turtle substrate is ready-to-use - no rinsing needed
* Contains calcium for healthier bones and shell
* Gravel contains beneficial bacteria to help with cycling and clarifier to help with water cloudiness

Ready-to-use aquatic turtle substrates take the guesswork out of starting an aquatic turtle environment. Hassle-free gravel require no rinsing - simply add tap water. Packaged with beneficial bacteria to aid in cycling, water conditioners to remove chlorine and chloramines, and clarifier to help clear initial cloudiness. Also provides pH support to prevent water from becoming too acidic, and has superior enhanced surface area to help support water purifying bacteria. Larger substrate size helps prevent accidental ingestion and work with under gravel filters. Plus, substrate creates a natural biological balance to help suppress bacterial blooms and is buffered to keep water cleaner for longer. Contains calcium for healthier bones and shell and has no artificial dyes or paints to flake off. One 10 pound bag is enough to treat 10 gallons of water.

It seems to be a size between gravel and river rocks, and if it contains all that good stuff in it, doesn't seem to bad to me. Of course a size inspection is in order for adult turtles, but smaller turtles will be ok.
jozzep

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Jozzep I've seen the package with the larger size rocks. Maybe for a small turtle with a mouth no bigger than the tip of your thumb (and that's for the largest pieces in the bag, there were small chunks too) but any turtle thats even a little bigger its going to be eaten. So I'd still recommend against it.
Listen97

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Whew, well we will be getting the gravel out of our babies tanks as well next cleaning, I never realised how dangerous it is. They have river rocks and larger rocks as well..and ill pick up some marbles for them to play with :)
David & Chrissie
:mrgreen:
MrsQuick

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:53 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I had gravel on mine because it looked nice and the turtles liked digging in them but listen to SpotsMama because there was waste all over the bottom i just couldn't see it!!! I took it all out (the gravel) yesterday and it looks much better and i bet the turtles enjoy not having to swim in their own poop!
Jossy... My pets are:

1 male RES, Mater, 1 yr. old
1 female RES, Sally, 1 yr. old
1 male hatchlin, Pee Wee, about 4months
2 dogs Pain and Fifi
JossyRamos

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Hi all,

When I first purchased my pet turtle 19 years ago, I did some research to make sure I knew what I was getting into, and one thing I found is that they have a gizzard to aid in digestion similar to birds.

In brief, you're turtles aren't "eating" the gravel you place in your aquariums, they're swallowing them and "storing" them in their gizzard to aid in digestion! Once they eat real food, it passes through this gizzard and the stones help break it down further before passing further along the digestive system.

My turtle has been eating and "recycling" gravel for nearly two decades with no health issues or digestive issues.

Just some food for thought.
--
Juxtapose13

"Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards." Cpl. Hicks, Aliens.
Juxtapose13

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Interesting. Can anyone second this new advice/info?
pdrobber

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I just use sand.. it helps not only to hold the plants down that the turtles like to sleep in/on and I also have 2 Eels that hide under the sand most of the time. If you want to have something in the bottom of your tank sand and a good pick... you can buy the sand people use for the childs sand box that is different colours if you really want to have some colour in the bottom of your tank.
2 Redear Sliders
Squirt
Crush

2 Clown Knifes
2 Zig-Zag Spiny Eels
2 Plecos
Samm

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:41 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

pdrobber wrote:Interesting. Can anyone second this new advice/info?

About gravel in general?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I believe its in referance to the turtle and gizzard notation...

As far as I knew, gizzards were not of the turtle world...

One the side note on gravel - my tank is filled with it and my turtles all seem to be fine with it ;)
SSMcLeod

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion