Equipment Review and Discussion :: New tank filter media setup

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:41 pm   New tank filter media setup

Hi everyone. I was looking at the filter media setup for new tank. I have questions about the optional media setup. I ended up purchasing Eheim Classic 600 (2217). By using the optional setup I am eliminating the use of Prime correct? This only works for setting up a new tank and still need to add Prime in the future for water changes?
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am   Re: New tank filter media setup

If you are using carbon in the new filter, then you don't need Prime. If you also use Purigen (its to help clear the water and is reusuable), then you supposedly need Prime when you regenerate it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 pm   Re: New tank filter media setup

Thank you. Just so I completely understand this process, no Prime if using sponges, floss, and carbon. If using Purigen I need to add Prime. This setup is only used a few days and then add in ceramic media, correct?
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 am   Re: New tank filter media setup

You can use either or both and this comes down to preference. For me, I like carbon as it absorbs contaminants in the water (ordors, tannin, chlorine and chloramine) but you need to replace it regularly. Additionally, I use Purigen to remove organic waste. Before you reuse Purigen, you put it in a plastic container to rinse, bleach and one of the steps requires Prime or an equivalent dechlorinator.

Prime itself neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and conditions the water. It's well regarded, and I don't use it in the tank but many people do.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:21 pm   Re: New tank filter media setup

One more quick question. When setting up canister filter is it better to place the inlet and outlet hoses on opposite ends of the tank? Or can they be next to each other? I’m getting ready to set up the canister and have it cycling while I build the above tank basking area.
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am   Re: New tank filter media setup

Opposite ends would be better, unless you have another powerhead in there to help circulate the water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:56 pm   Re: New tank filter media setup

Thank you.
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:28 am   Re: New tank filter media setup

I’ve finally got the sand rinsed and ready to be placed in tank. Above tank basking area is made. All plexiglass and that was hard to find since the stores bought plexiglass with everything going on with the COVID-19. Just waiting on WeldOn to arrive so I can glue it. In the meantime, the filter is set up with the optional media. I finally got the canister ready to go with hoses attached. Hopefully I did it right. First time with a canister. I’m filling it up today.

Here are my questions:
How long should I wait before adding turtles?

When I replace the floss with Eheim Substrat Pro, do I place the white fine pad (polishing pad I think) on top of the coarse pad? In this order: Eheim Mech, coarse sponge, fine sponge, carbon/Purigen, Eheim Substrat Pro.

Is Purigen best to buy the premade bags compared to loose? I have a 50 gallon set up.
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 pm   Re: New tank filter media setup

You don't need to wait to add the turtles, just make sure the water temp is warm enough. Floss/Fine pads tend to gunk up faster with turtles. So most either skip them or replace often.

This is the list of recommended layouts: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

If your filter is not there, what does the instructions say about the arrangement? I think it would go between carbon/purigen and filter pads. Also get the pre-bagged Purigen. Its a giant mess to bag it your self, totally avoid that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:24 pm   Re: New tank filter media setup

Got it. Thank you so much for all the information. I’ll skip the fine filter pad. I will get the premade bags of Purigen. I purchased loose activated carbon and bought a small media bag for that. Same for the Eheim Substrat Pro. I think having the media in a bag will be easier for cleaning. Again thank you for all the help with this. Definitely a learning curve compared to my little betta tank that is aquascaped.
cocalicious mama

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:31 am   Re: New tank filter media setup

Just re-read part of your other reply... many of those who use floss have just added a fine substrate like sand, so they need extra "polishing" temporaily.

Everything else sounds good, I think you've taken care of the hardest part. :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion