Equipment Review and Discussion :: Stinky water in New tank

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 pm   Stinky water in New tank

I am still constructing the new tank. I am, changing the water for the second time in 2 weeks, it is getting stinky pretty quick. It is clear but has a bad smell. My turtle also got sick. She has a runny nose. Trip to the vet showed it is nothing serious at this time. I have a 125 gallon full of water and am constructing the basking area this weekend. She has a temporary basking area with an inverted 45 gallon tank at the moment. It is heated and has air circulation. The water portion is well aerated. I have an FX6 doing the filtration of the water and a 200 Watt heater. This weekend I am adding more ceramic rings to the filter, an additional 300 Watt heater as the 200 is obviously too small and a 15,000 gallon carbon filter for fill water. I use the FX6 to pump the water out, I have a valve for my python to connect to for ease. With that said, can anyone shed a little light on why the water is turning smelly so quickly? The tank is 2 weeks old. I initially added the bacteria for a new tank. Will the additional biofilters help? Any suggestion for optimal setup? I saw the suggestion for the fx6 which is why im adding more rings to the filter. Any help is much appreciated. I am constructing the top of the tank my self with sliding doors for cleaning. I was going to go with a daytime and nighttime bulb for heat and basking. Any suggestions on those would be helpful as well. The temperature will be automated. I am renting, otherwise I would automate the water change as well lol. I like things easy.
Thanks for any response!
Sethvel1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 pm   Re: Stinky water in New tank

What's the water temperature? What water treatments are you doing? You might want to do partial water changes until it clears up, but there is some serious imbalance if you keep getting this problem.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:05 pm   Re: Stinky water in New tank

Right now I can't get above 78 until I get the other heater in. The water is staying perfectly clear but is just smelly. I change about a third of the water at a time.
Sethvel1

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:27 am   Re: Stinky water in New tank

Mid 70's water temo is usually fine for most RES. How often are you doing water changes?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:09 pm   Re: Stinky water in New tank

Sorry, got crazy busy with work. I do a water change about once a week. I added more ceramic and added pvc fittings where I had the PVC tubing going over the edge of the tank. They were flattening down where I didn't use the corrugated tubing. The flow has improved and I believe the tank has stabilized now as the smell does not come back.
Sethvel1

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 pm   Re: Stinky water in New tank

Good to hear, and thanks for the update.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion