Equipment Review and Discussion :: News on MVBs?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

They're back in stock at Reptile UV?
zuse

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:16 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

Even if they say they are, you might get charged and have nothing shipped to you. It's best to wait or switch to an alternative brand.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

So, I had pre-ordered and my bulb arrived Monday (shipped quickly once they sent the email that they had arrived and were being sent out). Turtle is happily basking. :)

There's a page included about why the 100wt bulbs having the frosting on the outside. It says they are still working on getting the bulbs made that have the magnesium oxide coating on the inner bulb. When they are available, that version will be more expensive, and they will continue to offer both types.

So, I was fortunate enough to not purchase from them during that rough period (so no bad taste in my mouth) and thought I'd give them a chance since my individual experiences wwere good. Hopefully they have their act together now. :)
zuse

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

That's great news to hear Reptile UV is shipping product again! Thanks for sharing.

Could you give us an idea how long the entire process took? From the day you placed your order until it arrived. I know the bulbs may not have been in stock when you first placed your order... just curious as to how long you had to wait.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

So, I checked their site sometime in early February and noticed this message posted in the News & Updates section:

February 1, 2012

PRE-SALE

Many loyal customers are calling and asking us to put products on a pre-sale list with their credit cards to be sure they can get our new bulbs when they come in without waiting for the purchase option to be available. To be fair to all we have decided to make certain products available for pre-sale purchasing. Please understand that the order will not be here before 2/18/2012. Our stock order was placed and paid for in December of 2011 but because of the New Year holiday it was not completed before the close of our factory. If you decide to order, you will be first on the shipping list. As always, we very much appreciate that our friends demand only the best for their creatures or rather their family, as we do.

I thought about it (considered what I had read elsewhere) and decided to go for it since I use Paypal. So I pre-ordered one of the 100W bulbs on February 3.

The site then had another update on the bulb order on March 3rd.

March 3, 2012

New 100 watt and 160 watt bulbs are in (high volt and 275 watt on their way). We are sorting, testing and adjusting them this weekend. Orders will be going out Monday the 5th. Thank you for your patience!

On March 7th I received the email from Paypal that shipping info had been received along with the tracking number. The post office actually got it on March 9th. It was shipped Priority Mail (NC-->OK) and I received it the afternoon of March 12th. So, yeah, they did ship out reasonably close to when they said they were. :)
zuse

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 am   Re: News on MVBs?

Wow, its been years since Ive been here. Seriously doubt anyone I remember is still here and if they are, probably wont remember me. I know that this is still the best place to come for RES info. That being said, does anyone know if any new information has come out about MVB bulbs. I always used the Mega-Ray and had great success with them until a couple of years ago. I went through 3 bulbs that burnt out all within the warranty period. After paying $50 dollars I was not happy about it burning out within a couple months. Then the fact that all the other replacements did the same was disappointing. After third I gave up and bought one of the "lower quality" MVB from a local pet store. Ive been getting by with them but am interested to get back to a bulb with a little better quality. It looks like the Mega-Ray is backordered but I am not sure if they have ironed out their problems. Im fine with waiting awhile as long as people arent having problems with the bulbs.

On a side note, Im taking a week long class this week at the Oklahoma Aquarium for my Wildlife Ecology and Management degree and it is amazing to get to go behind the scenes and learn about filtration and water quality, lighting, exhibit design and construction, and the general workings of an aquarium (including getting to see the sea turtles and the exhibit they are building for them). The amount and types of filters they use for the 500,000 gallon shark tank is incredible. 30 large sand filters, two MASSIVE (look about 3 stories tall) protein skimmers, equally large ozone system, two large filters with activated carbon (their carbon can last a very long time since its after the ozone system), and the most bio-media I have ever seen in my life.

P.S.
Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:22 am   Re: News on MVBs?

Hey Daniel! Since their manufacturing woes (Mega Ray and T-Rex) a few years ago, they still do not have everything in order. T-Rex discontinued all their MVBs and Mega Ray has been trying to stay afloat with different bulbs with little success. They have not been able to keep up with warranties and orders, leaving a lot of customers frustrated. Personally I would wait until they've earned their reputation back. Most MVB users have gone with the Zoo Med PowerSun. It's not perfect, but seems decent enough. Other reptile keepers have switched to tube fluorescents.

The class sounds awesome, good luck with it!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:45 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

i will tell you right now without air cooling of some sort you are wating your MVB bulbs i use a simple duct fan on mine. when applying UVB it should be used as a broad source not a basking bulb, you can buy lots of basking bulbs for 6-7 buck and get them in close but if you use a powerful HID UVB bulb you wan tit to be strong enought to coever the area, i fact the sownside to the MVB is it produces so much heat that they have tried to make it a basking bulbs, but this inheirently has problems.. the most UPSIDE to using air cooling with you bulb is it will depriciate in UVB light much much slower. just a pice from a guy who know his light bulbs... i reccomend the MEGA ray MH which produces less heat and more uvb over a large area then add heat lamp to the basking spots, a 60w MH outperforms a 160w solarglo(although i have ha good lucj wih the exoterra brand) any day most people would say its a downside to have no heat, but heat is easly generated from elec and cheap.
googleme

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 am   Re: News on MVBs?

ReptileUV seems to be back in business at ReptileUV.com

To my dismay, the externally ballasted bulbs are unavailable, but I'm still happy to see the business back at it.

I wonder if Mega-Ray will still be the best quality bulbs for our reptiles?
-Chris
papoopeepoo

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:05 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

I've been using the RetileUV.com bulb for 8 months with no problems. :)

zuse wrote:So, I had pre-ordered and my bulb arrived Monday (shipped quickly once they sent the email that they had arrived and were being sent out). Turtle is happily basking. :)

There's a page included about why the 100wt bulbs having the frosting on the outside. It says they are still working on getting the bulbs made that have the magnesium oxide coating on the inner bulb. When they are available, that version will be more expensive, and they will continue to offer both types.

So, I was fortunate enough to not purchase from them during that rough period (so no bad taste in my mouth) and thought I'd give them a chance since my individual experiences were good. Hopefully they have their act together now. :)
zuse

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

New update, I have tried to contact Bob and the staff at Reptileuv a few times with no answer. I have seen the Mega-Rays have not been available for some time now. I'm gonna stay with the PowerSun for now. Maybe they will get it right at Reptileuv but I doubt it right now.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

Since the last post is over a year old, I thought I would ask this question again. What is the best MVB now? I haven't owned a turtle for a few years now and I'm trying to get caught up on the latest as I work on getting another aquarium going.
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

In early fall 2013, MegaRay apparently worked out their supply chain issues. I had put in a PowerSun in April or May of last year and was appalled at the low UVB output when I got a UVB meter. I ordered a MegaRay and have been impressed with it compared to the PowerSun.

So, my experience is limited, but I would recommend the MegaRay.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 am   Re: News on MVBs?

Thanks for the input ljapa!

Some of this thread is continued here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35456
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:13 pm   Re: News on MVBs?

I figure I should resurrect this thread. I spoke to BobMac (the owner of ReptileUV) yesterday, and he said ReptileUV is up and running smoothly. I went ahead and ordered a 100watt internally ballasted MVB bulb, and he said it would be out in the mail in a day or two.

I'm patiently waiting for the Metal Halide to be tested and released in the US. It's already being distributed and used in Europe and Asia. He said he will be performing tests over the next month and they should be in stock for the US in the summer of 2017.
-Chris
papoopeepoo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion