Feeding and Nutrition :: feeding turtle snail eggs

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:35 am   feeding turtle snail eggs

Hello! The other night one of my mystery snails laid eggs in my betta tank. I do not have the desire nor the resources to care for 50-100+ snails, so I'm definitely not keeping the clutch. But I hate to let my female snail's hard work go to waste by dumping them in the trash. Would it be okay to feed the clutch to my RES as a treat? I bet it would be a good source of protein and vitamins, but I would like to to hear what you guys think before I do it. My only worry is that it will make a mess in the tank, so I would likely feed the clutch on tank cleaning day. Thanks!
benjitheturtle

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:15 am   Re: feeding turtle snail eggs

I'm not sure about mystery snail eggs specifically, but other freshwater snails were OK to use.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:36 pm   Re: feeding turtle snail eggs

update: i fed him the eggs and he loved them. they were a little dried up so took him a minute to recognize them as food but the minute i put it into his food ring he went for it. made a complete mess of the tank tho lol. i think it was a super fun little treat for him. i would only recommend feeding it on tank cleaning day tho.
benjitheturtle

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:45 am   Re: feeding turtle snail eggs

Glad to know it went OK! A separate feeding container is handy for these kinds of treats.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition