Habitat - Outdoor :: pond building - tips and tricks?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:11 pm   pond building - tips and tricks?

Hi! im thinking about moving my RES outdoors into a pond id like to build this summer.
id like to dig it into the ground, but the issues I have are these: it would have to be away from the house a ways, and its next to a creek.
id like some tips on how to drain and filter it because I don't want to introduce his weird captive turtle bacteria into native aquatic habitat, but also on how to keep predators out and the turtle in.
I'm located in Central WV, so this would be a spring and summer only type of deal because hes been an indoor turtle his entire life and I dont know if I trust him to brumate
binji

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:47 pm   Re: pond building - tips and tricks?

You can use a simple submersible pump and hose to drain the water. You can do partial changes and drain to the grass/dirt several feet away. How big is the pond? Some sort of netting and fencing will be required for full protection.

Any particular reason it's to be set that far away?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:58 pm   Re: pond building - tips and tricks?

we can't dig into the yard by the house because its so rocky, so we have to dig it down behind the other house where the soil is better. no clue how big itd be yet

I was also thinking of just moving his tub outside and building some sort of table around it so it could stay in the yard, which may be simpler but id like to upgrade him a bit bc hes in a 110g rn
binji

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm   Re: pond building - tips and tricks?

A lot of people pick up stock tanks for their outdoor pond builds. It doesn't have the same aesthetic as an in-ground pond, but it doesn't mean it has to be unsightly. In terms of costs and durability, I would opt for option always.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor