Habitat - Indoor :: Replacing Filter Ceramic Media

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 pm   Replacing Filter Ceramic Media

When should filter media be replaced or is it not required/desirable to replace it?
When ever I do a full water replacement and clean out my canister filter, I rinse the ceramic media in aquarium water to remove any surface build up. But should the media ever be replaced entirely (or partially) with new?

Thanks for any advice.
Lovegasoline

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:05 am   Re: Replacing Filter Ceramic Media

Unless it is deteriorating, you won't need to replace the ceramic media. One reason to replace it would be if there was an illness or medication was added to the water and you wanted to remove all trace of it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:53 am   Re: Replacing Filter Ceramic Media

OK thanks Steve.
Does that mean if no illness occurs or medication is added to the tank, the ceramic media it can last for decades without requiring anything other than the occasional rinsing/agitation in aquarium water during regular canister filter maintenance?
Lovegasoline

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:10 pm   Re: Replacing Filter Ceramic Media

I've probably had my media in there for 10 years are so... so yes it can last. The media is most effective when the surface is rough and porous, to allow bacteria to colonize. If it's smooth or falling apart, it would be a good time to replace.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor