Habitat - Indoor :: 17 yr RES Tank Always Green :(

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:45 pm   17 yr RES Tank Always Green :(

Hi there! This is my first time posting here. I've searched the internet and thought I should probably ask the community because I'll have better luck and answers :lol:

Crush (aka Fat Fat) is about 17 years old (picture attached) and he has a 75 gallon tank with a Fluval FX4 canister filter. The filter is less than a month old and I did 1 partial water change (about 75%) on this last Friday (3 1/2 days ago) because the water was so green and becoming smelly. And it had only been about 2 1/2 weeks since I had put in the filter. I cannot keep the water clean. It's perpetually yellow/green and I'm not sure why :cry: Is the tank just too small for him (he's fed every other day) or is the filter not big enough? Or maybe I've not waited long enough for the filter to cycle? Help. Please. I beg you. :)
Lucilla

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:57 am   Re: 17 yr RES Tank Always Green :(

Hello! Green water is more an algae issue, than cycling. What do you have in the tank? What's the lighting situation? Is it near a window? The picture didn't show up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:03 am   Re: 17 yr RES Tank Always Green :(

I don't have any substrate in the tank. It's a bare tank. He eats everything put in it ha. He only has his basking platform made of PVC and egg crate. The tank is in a well lit room with 3 windows; all the light is indirect. I see why the photo didn't load. It was in HEIC format. I've added jpg now.
Fat Fat tank.jpg
His Serene Highness' Tank
Lucilla

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:53 pm   Re: 17 yr RES Tank Always Green :(

This might be an issue with your filter media. What do you have it setup as? This is the reccommended layout for the FX series viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288910
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor