Habitat - Indoor :: Roaming the house

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 am   Roaming the house

Hi all,

Our red ear slider has been a part of our family for about 13 years, got her the size of a quarter as a gift. Her behavior changed over the years and fairly recently, she became very interested in being let out of her tank to roam the house constantly. Historically, we would take her out to sun on our awesome deck (in SoCal) and she would do some walking around inside. We’d usually put her back in her tank in 2-4 hrs. Lately, she goes crazy until I take her out, but then she’s not really interested in sunning and goes straight to a hiding place in someone’s closet or under a bed.
This last time, I decided not to go look for her the same day as I always have to pry her out and she stayed put for 4 days! Just when I was about to go get her to make sure she’s ok, she came out.

1. Is that normal? Should I allow that and leave her in hiding with no water or food for multiple days?
2. Is there anything interesting I could set up for her in the house she would like?

Background: she is alone in 60 gal tank, platform above tank (made by yours truly and I think It’s pretty pimp), bamboo for privacy on platform, plant pot as hiding spot in the tank, lamps, water heater, filter. Diet is a medley of dry turtle food, red bell peppers, celery and lettuce for the last 7 years or so years. On occasion I get her a dozen of feeder fish and she goes kray chasing them until she eventually eats them all. (Hilarious how she keeps one or two as pets for months.) I was Repeatedly advised not to get her a companion. She has been in the same spot for 8 years in the living room, the one thing that changed in her life are our 2 kids (2 and 5, who run and yell etc.) She has never been too happy with being handled and touched so I don’t force her and I keep The kids away from her when she’s out.

Appreciate any input!

Martina
disosgirl

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 am   Re: Roaming the house

When left alone outside of the tank, they usually bury or hide themselves for protection and it would difficult to know where she could be. So it is normal behavior when they are put into that situation, but it's not something I would choose to do. I'm not sure what could be interesting to setup indoors as they will explore a little, dig, and bask.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor