Habitat - Indoor :: Filter Protection

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 pm   Filter Protection

Hello all, Big Matilda likes to chew on and try to destroy her filter intake. I’ve had to wedge it in the corner of her aquarium with a big rock beside it to try and block it from her. She is very good at finding a way to get at it. It’s causing the filter to not be as efficient as it could, and I’m getting frustrated by this ongoing issue. Does anyone have advice on other methods of protecting the filter parts? Like a guard of some sort? I’ve tried searching for related questions but no luck. Thanks!
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:49 pm   Re: Filter Protection

Is this a canister filter? If so, you can probably make an intake out of PVC with a lot of holes drilled into it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:43 pm   Re: Filter Protection

Hi Steve, thanks for replying and yes, this is a canister filter, Fluval FX5. That sounds like it might work, and that’s actually what I had to do with her heater since she would go after that as well. I wonder how many holes it would need to have in order to function properly (and where to place them). The other question I would have is how to secure the bottom of the tube so that she couldn’t move it. She keeps dislodging the filter intake tube and I worry that she will push the intake up into the air and damage the pump. She’s quite a trouble maker! I was also thinking of finding some sort of stainless steel screen to cover it, but that might be hard to find. Thanks again for the idea!
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:39 am   Re: Filter Protection

I guess it would be a pipe the slips over the existing tube then using a couple of pipe clamps to tie it together. How far does she push it up? She does sound pretty destructive :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor