Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:45 pm   

For the inlet, you can look into a pre-filter (its a foam covering). As for the pump/outlet tube... I'm not sure how you want to arrange it. What about inlet tube?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm   

never thought of putting something in the inlet, figured if the skin and scutes could not pass then what was the point.

as for the pond pump, would have to look at what is available, but to keep the same in/out that i currently have i figured it would need to go on the out. my current filter pulls down through a center tube/column and then the pump itself is at the top pushing the water back out. (not sure if all can filters are set up this way). that is why i figured putting it at the end would work.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:18 am   

A prefilter will require regular cleaning, but your main filter will be cleaner as a result.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:18 am   

Depending on what type of inlet tube you use, you can get Aquaclear foam filter blocks that work really well and are very cheap. I just added one to the intake of a RENA xP3, because we are going to be adding small feeder guppies to Spike's tank and I don't want them sucked into the filter. The foam will also ensure that Spike wont drown by being sucked into the filter intake, although now that he is not a hatchling that shouldn't be a problem anyways.

I have foam blocks from an Aqualclear 300 (aka 70) that I cut in half. In each half I put a slit down the middle (inside) almost to the bottom, so that it can be easily pulled over the intake. I will just rotate the two so that the intake is never uncovered for very long, and then replace them as necessary. Keeping the main filter cleaner is an added bonus.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
Fuzzy Hamster

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm   

steve wrote:For the inlet, you can look into a pre-filter (its a foam covering). As for the pump/outlet tube... I'm not sure how you want to arrange it. What about inlet tube?

steve i figured out what you meant by the inlet outlet situation. figured i would find a pump with two hose connections but that wasn't the case. i did get a pond pump 350gph from lowes on clearance for $15.99. hooked it up in place of the inlet and let it rip into the canister. seems to be working will let everyone know if it changes.

*edit - forgot to mention, its also a magnetic driven motor so i'm thinking it might even stand up to the sand, will probably still get some kind of prefilter since the cap comes off the intake and allows for it.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:20 pm   

Sounds good. Fuzzy Hamster mentioned creating your own pre-filter, which in the long run will be much cheaper. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm   

Wait, does it plug in?
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 am   

I will be creating my own DIY sump filter

will post pics :)
StevenAkaProek

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 pm   

what is "media"?
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:24 pm   

the stuff your filter uses to filtrate the water

mechanical, biological, chemical
StevenAkaProek

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:27 am   

Does anybody have pictures of a proven working one and how they made it?
jozzep

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:00 pm   

Hmm.. no one has answered the question about 110 gallon stock tanks... So what would be the best gph for 100-110 gallons? Also how big of a container should one have? This is pretty cool. I just bought a filter from petsolutions.com to find out that it doesn't seem very safe to have indoors since it's just a loose top.
Ahoy, Crew line up:
1 RES- Captain Pongo Pockets
1 Map turtle: Smee - Second in Command
hoojib88

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:45 am   

personally i would do two filters. maybe two rena xp 3 filters for kicks. what filter did you buy?
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
Lantic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm   

http://www.petsolutions.com/Fishmate-Bi ... 03302.aspx this one.. I'm returning it and considering a xp3 filter.. They're still really pricy.. two xp3 filters seems like a bit of an over kill to me..
Ahoy, Crew line up:
1 RES- Captain Pongo Pockets
1 Map turtle: Smee - Second in Command
hoojib88

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:25 pm   

I love the idea of making my own filter. I want to make one for my 55 gallon tank. The instructions on this thread don't make a whole lot of sense. Can someone explain them better? Also what size container should I be getting.
xstefanx

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor