General Care Discussion :: Is my turtle's eye okay?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:21 pm   Is my turtle's eye okay?

I noticed this after changing his water, one of his eyes has a slight pink tint to it on the upper eye lid. It doesn't look inflammated and has no problem opening and closing his eyes. He doesn't scratch at it or anything. I only noticed it under direct light and up close. I wonder if he somehow hurt himself against a rock or the basking platform by head butting it since it sits above the tank and the ramp sticks out in the water. Or is this the start of an infection or vitamin deficiency? Or is this normal?

seveneight

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 am   Re: Is my turtle's eye okay?

Maybe the chlorine has irritated it? Just keep an eye on it, I don't think it's something to worry about.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:13 am   Re: Is my turtle's eye okay?

steve wrote:Maybe the chlorine has irritated it? Just keep an eye on it, I don't think it's something to worry about.

Maybe although he sat in this type of water his whole life (7+ years). The water is also filtered at the main line in the house, it doesn't remove 100% of the chlorine but removes most of it.

That being said it hasn't gotten worse, when he's in the water it's impossible to notice it. It just looks normal like the other eye, it only is visible when there's a strong light above it. Maybe that's a deformity he has and I just never noticed, I'll keep monitoring him.
seveneight

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm   Re: Is my turtle's eye okay?

It could just be normal for him. If it were red or swollen, I'd be more concerned.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion