General Care Discussion :: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:36 pm   Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

You
Hi, yesterday i bought a baby res turtle and it seems most of the time he prefers to sleep on a dry surfarce (basking area), even at night when i switch off the light it climbs up on the basking area and sleeps there, is this normal behaviour?other than that, it eats normally and there are no other symptoms like puffy eyes or any kind of shell irritation. I also have second turtle in the same tank, a bit older and he behaves normally. This tank is small (in 1 week im moving them into 75gallon tank), temperature is around 28 degrees in the tank and in the room its about 23-24.
Lelasha

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 pm   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

Does he stay there overnight?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

Yes he does. He also has soft shell, he is really small probably 1 month old and the conditions they kept him were not perfect. Most of the time he is sleeping, he reacts on my voice and sometimes is afraid of me and jumps in the water. He swims pretty good, seems quite strong, can actively use limbs and eats well. I dont see any spots on the shell or swollen eyes or any bubbles, it seems to me that he also breathes pretty well (i had a turtle in past who died cause of respiratory disease). The tank where they kept him was small with many other baby turtles and almost every one of them where sleeping on the basking spot. I am feeding him pallets and dried worms/shrimps. I dont really get why he sleeps literally 20 hours
Lelasha

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:26 pm   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

The water could be a little warmer, around 25-26C. what's the room temperature? Hatchlings normally have a slightly pliable shell, but I would make sure he's getting his calcium in his food. Do they have a UVB light?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:37 am   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

The water is 28 degrees, room temperature is 24-25 degrees. Yes they are getting 12 hours of uvb, uva light. In my country there are no veterinars and very limited choice of turtle food, so i have already ordered calcium for turtles from amazon and will give it to him once its arrived. I also have another turtle, slightly bigger around 8-9 months old, maybe he is afraid of him?
Lelasha

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:53 am   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

This is his photo
Attachments
948DCB3F-A4AD-46FD-B488-F36F515243FB.jpeg
Lelasha

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 am   Re: Help with Baby Red ear slider behavior

If there is a big difference in size, they should be separated. He could also be pushed around too much and you need to keep a close eye when they are feeding. New turtles should be separated anyway for a short quarantine.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion