General Care Discussion :: Opinions on my RES’s shell and red stripe condition?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 am   Opinions on my RES’s shell and red stripe condition?

Hello,

I just wanted a few opinions from other turtle owners about the condition of my RES’s shell and how it may reflect his health.

My main concern is that his shell appears to be pyramiding. It may just be how the shell looks and it’s not a big deal, but I am unsure if it is the beginning of pyramiding. What do you think? I have a few pictures attached.

Should I give him a calcium supplement? Do the pellets not have enough calcium in them? I do not want to overdo it, but i’m not sure if he’s getting enough.

Also, do his red stripes look faded to anyone? They look dull compared to how red they used to be. I have switched him to a greater UVB bulb, as I did not realize his basking platform was further from his lights than I had thought. I have been trying to get him switched over to a mostly veggie diet, but he is very picky and it has been hard to gauge if he is eating much of what I put in his tank.

Some background info:

Aquarium size: Very long tank with not a ton of water vertically (house we moved to won’t support the weight without creating a brace in the basement)
Diet: Has lived mostly off pellets, have been shifting him to veggies in recent years despite his picky behavior
UVB bulb replaced every 6 months
Heat bulb replaced when it goes out
Water temp: Kept consistently at about 78
Filter rock kept clean, filters replaced as needed, aquarium is clean and water is added by about 2 gallons every 6 days or so.
I have gently felt his shell and it does not feel soft in any areas.
He is very energetic, basks regularly, and has no problem gobbling his pellets.
Attachments
FCE97C76-3B3B-4A15-B85F-FD2F5E9224A6.jpeg
93EB38AF-7428-40E2-A5BA-B589C935FAF0.jpeg
93EB38AF-7428-40E2-A5BA-B589C935FAF0.jpeg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
C89AE406-293E-40AD-A47E-57F0056D64CB.jpeg
-Sarah
GillsMcBurton

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:42 pm   Re: Opinions on my RES’s shell and red stripe condition?

There is some pyramiding, and depending on his age I'm not sure what you can do to improve it. It could look better over time, but its not too bad. It might be hard to overdo calcium in dietary form, the occasional supplement shouldn't hurt though if you use cuttlebone (with backing removed), he can get some calcium and trim his beaks.

It's normal for the colors to fade, even more so with males since most of them become melanastic. His skin will be grayer, some of his stripes will be spots, and the seams around his shell become darker.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 pm   Re: Opinions on my RES’s shell and red stripe condition?

steve wrote:There is some pyramiding, and depending on his age I'm not sure what you can do to improve it. It could look better over time, but its not too bad. It might be hard to overdo calcium in dietary form, the occasional supplement shouldn't hurt though if you use cuttlebone (with backing removed), he can get some calcium and trim his beaks.

It's normal for the colors to fade, even more so with males since most of them become melanastic. His skin will be grayer, some of his stripes will be spots, and the seams around his shell become darker.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
-Sarah
GillsMcBurton

Return to General Care Discussion