General Care Discussion :: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:03 am   My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

Hello everyone!

Recently, I have replaced a new plastic tub for my red eared slider turtle. I have setup a new UV light for his basking, a higher platform, a longer ramp and a new internal filter. I have also increased a lot of water to let him swim as much as he wants to.

The previous plastic tub he had was much lower level of water, a smaller platform to bask and used a low-powered water filter (the water pours out like a fountain).

Two months back, I have noticed his strange behavior was showing. I thought he was calling out for a partner to start mating or something. He will do some kind of weird arm swinging motions for minutes. He will still eat and play around whenever I approach to feed him.

But a few weeks ago, I felt worried and thought something was wrong with his behavior. I made a new bigger setup for him and hoping that he will like the new environment.

Then a few days ago, he went from weird to being extremely weird. He constantly swinging his arm for many minutes or hours on the floor of the new plastic tub, resulted to injuring himself by rubbing his neck skin against it.
[P.S. Maybe he injured himself by rubbing his neck skin against his arms.]

I managed to quickly finished another DIY of a platform (much lower in terms of the height) and a shorter ramp. I bought and used a strong-powered low water filter (Because the new internal filter I have is so strong that it splashes out from the water surface quite badly).

After I monitored him for some hours, he climbed up the ramp, basks under a UV light and he won't move for hours (He spread his legs and relax so far and it is a good sign to me).
He won't do anything weird on a platform. But as soon as he returned back to the water, he will do the same weird swinging motions again.

When he is being weird, he won't eat his food (pellets, vegetables and etc.). I have to put him into a small pail with lesser water to calm him down so he will be back to normal and eat his food again.

He was fine on the previous setup for many years until a few months back.

Anyone can give advice to me on how to tackle this situation? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks everyone!

pic3.jpg
pic1.jpg

-foam
Last edited by foambloom on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
foambloom

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:25 pm   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

I think what you are referring to as arm "swinging" is whats called "fluttering". Males will do it to females, but also as sort of a warning sign. Is there something that he is seeing at the bottom?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:04 am   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

steve wrote:I think what you are referring to as arm "swinging" is whats called "fluttering". Males will do it to females, but also as sort of a warning sign. Is there something that he is seeing at the bottom?

There are only small amount of bloodworms. But for every three days, I uses my electric siphon water filter to suck and clean up all those things (Including the left-over food).

Even there is nothing on the floor, he will still does the fluttering motion but in a extreme way.

One thing I want to add that he breathes out heavily and create a lot of bubbles. He is scared of something but I am not sure what is it...
foambloom

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:20 am   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

It does sound like something spooked him. Is there anything in the tank that or decorations or distractions?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:22 am   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

steve wrote:It does sound like something spooked him. Is there anything in the tank that or decorations or distractions?

There are no decorations. Distraction wise, there are water splashes sound from the water filter but he can still sleep at night.

Hmmm... I think is the tank itself. The previous plastic tub he had can see through the walls.

Well the new plastic tub.. The new platform and the ramp creates a dark shadow around the wall.
Also, there are some reflections from the walls too. Maybe he can see himself that it spooked him?

I will need to DIY something new out I guess. But I am still not sure what's the problem still though.
Last edited by foambloom on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foambloom

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 pm   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

yeah, its a bit puzzling. Is there a significant size difference with the new tub?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:04 pm   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

steve wrote:yeah, its a bit puzzling. Is there a significant size difference with the new tub?

Yes. The size of the old tub was 70 cm x 50 cm. The new one i have is 100 cm x 60 cm.
foambloom

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 pm   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

Is there anything in the tank that would allow him to hid or climb? Maybe add some fake plants or some substrate to keep him distracted.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

steve wrote:Is there anything in the tank that would allow him to hid or climb? Maybe add some fake plants or some substrate to keep him distracted.

I have created the platform with a cave underneath so he can hide and he is feeling okay now. (But if he come out from the cave, yeah his weird behavior comes back)
I will buy some fake plants to hang around the wall and some rocks to put on the floor later on and will observe him for the new few days.

terrapin_cave.jpg
foambloom

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am   Re: My turtle being weird and I can't figured out why

If the tub bottom is clear/translucent, maybe you can put something underneath it to make it look more natural as well.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion