Urgent Care :: Raccoon Attack

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:33 am   Raccoon Attack

2 weeks ago our outdoor pond red eared slider was attacked by raccoons. We have had him since he was a baby, tiny in the palm of my hand. He has been outside for 6 out of 7 years we’ve had him. He lost both hind legs and half of one of his front legs in this attack. We have had him in a shallow container since he was attacked. We got vet care to prevent things from getting infected but the vet didn’t give us much info on care now that he’s not in shock and wants to swim and sun bathe. We have his water level low enough for him to reach his neck out to breath but i’m looking for advice on where to go from here. I plan on making him an indoor turtle but I’m not sure how to accommodate for his injuries? Any advice would be great. I love this turtle and the only other option is bringing him to our local aquarium store and letting them take over. I’d prefer to not have to do that, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Urtlesgal

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:29 am   Re: Raccoon Attack

Glad to hear he will pull through!

Most likely he will have to stay in shallow water. I would consult with a wildlife rehabber/rescue (even non-local ones) as they will have more ideas, but you might be limited in options. Does he have any mobility?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:54 pm   Re: Raccoon Attack

steve wrote:Glad to hear he will pull through!

Most likely he will have to stay in shallow water. I would consult with a wildlife rehabber/rescue (even non-local ones) as they will have more ideas, but you might be limited in options. Does he have any mobility?

He has limited mobility. He can move around, but not enough to swim in deep water and easily gets stuck on land depending on the material.
Urtlesgal

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:26 pm   Re: Raccoon Attack

I guess a plus is that he won't likely get himself in a situation where he will flip over. Water levels deeper than his shell is probably out of the question.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care