Urgent Care :: Help my turtle is acting weird.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 am   Help my turtle is acting weird.

My turtle (femal about 1 year old) is acting really weird. She'll be super lethargic for 1 or 2 days then is back to being hyper/normal. She eats properly, has everything ( heater, good filter, UVB and) she eats some greens and mostly pellets). She was basking for almost half the day today. And doesnt really move much when i touch her. The same thing had happened last week but she pooped a lot and was fine afterwards. pls help i got no clue despite doing a lot of research! I also currently have exams and cant take her to the vet.
Radha

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 pm   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

Lethargic in the water or while basking? Whats the normal routine/schedule like? When does she get fed? What are you feeding her? How big is the tank? How much water is in there? When did you last clean it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

steve wrote:Lethargic in the water or while basking? Whats the normal routine/schedule like? When does she get fed? What are you feeding her? How big is the tank? How much water is in there? When did you last clean it?

Im sorry for the late reply. Shes on comertial pellets in a small 10 gallon tank filled 70 percent with water.( i will upgrade to a 55 gallon soon). I feed her every morning at around 10 or 11 (i give her an amount of food that can fit in her head). Shes lethargic in the water and while basking, the only time shes moved in the past day is to breath or while i was giving her medication(she is normally very active and interactive). I went to the vet yesterday and he gave a multivitamin, imune system booster and some type of laxatives. I cleaned her tank last week and the filter is rated for 3 times the amout of water in the tank. I will continue give her the meds. Also there is another turtle in the tank but he is sperated by a partition due to agression. She also seems to be shedding more than usual. Someone please let me know if you know what this could be.!!!
Radha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:52 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

Hard to know what is the exact problem, and it sounds like the setup really isn't helping. Medications also often affect appetite, and she could probably use fewer pellets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

im really scared man, ive looked at many many forums trying to relate her sickness but ive had no luck. I really dont want to lose this turtle, should i give her some boiled eggs maybe as other than the pellets she dosent have any protien. Shes been sleeping the whole day and wakes up to look at me then goes back to sleep. Also i dont know whether shes pooped or not in the past week as she eats, but i dont really see any poop remains ( i know they eat it, but normaly there is still some scattered around)
Radha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:52 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

steve wrote:Hard to know what is the exact problem, and it sounds like the setup really isn't helping. Medications also often affect appetite, and she could probably use fewer pellets.

do u think its possible that its a uvb problem as the bulb is about 10 months old. Or do u think shes bored or depressed becuase of the size of the tank? Ill share a picture of the tank in a minute. but i dont think this could be a reason as shes been super happy until last week.
Radha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:53 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

i was thinking that it could be impaction but as far as i know, they dont eat when this happens, she still eats but a lot slower now.
Radha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:07 pm   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

It sounded like she was eating fine before the vet visit and the vet gave her a lot of stuff, which might be a factor in suppressing her appetite. But I don't really understand what you think was originally wrong.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:20 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

steve wrote:It sounded like she was eating fine before the vet visit and the vet gave her a lot of stuff, which might be a factor in suppressing her appetite. But I don't really understand what you think was originally wrong.
nevermind she took a massive poop and is completely fine now. And to answer your question, she was barely moving and was very unresponsive and was sleeping almost all the time. Shes all good now. Thanks anyway!!
Radha

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 am   Re: Help my turtle is acting weird.

you should reevaluate her diet. feeding less and giving more variety would be better for her. glad to know she's better!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care