Urgent Care :: Possible shell rot?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 pm   Possible shell rot?

Hi, I have my 4 inch (4 year old) turtle (Franklin) in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I will post a picture of his setup, but he has a dome light with UVB and a heat lamp. He is active and I feed him Omega One pellets every other day, out of the tank. I have a lettuce clip for him, but he doesn’t eat much lettuce, unfortunately. I clean out the filter (Fluval 406) every 1.5 to 2 weeks and use a turkey baster to clean any debris and poop, every other day. He sunbathes some, but I wonder if he is bathing enough. Here is a picture of his shell. Is this shell rot? Pyramiding? I’ve cut back on his pellet intake, but he isn’t eating a lot of the lettuce that I buy him. I have tried numerous types, including organic butter, red, romaine, etc. He will eat a little, then hope for pellets. I’ve done some reading and I did buy some chlorexedine, if needed. He is always hyper and loves to bite. I also take him outside, when possible, to walk for a bit. I also change all of the filter media every 2 to 3 months and change all of the water and clean everything in the tank. Thank you for your help!
Attachments
0E6BC89F-59EC-4183-87EB-39E6DB559819.jpeg
D0FECC08-7A68-4ED5-A8EA-FBA5980E7454.jpeg
rev84tam

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 am   Re: Possible shell rot?

From the pic, I don't see any rot. He does have some retained scutes, so a couple of sheds and his shell should look much better. There is some algae, and it doesn't look too bad but I would gently scrub it off and inspect the shell for any issues. Do not force off any loose or peeling scutes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 am   Re: Possible shell rot?

Thank you so much for your reply! :)
rev84tam

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:29 am   Re: Possible shell rot?

No problem, and keep us updated!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care