Urgent Care :: Head Cut/Injury

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm   Head Cut/Injury

Hello Everyone,
The other day I woke up and noticed my turtle had a piece of skin missing on top of her head. How Kobe got this I am unsure as there do not appear to be any sharp objects in the tank. The only thing I can think of is she might have rubbed against the plastic ties I used to attach to her ramp to the basking plastform.
The wound seemed to be healing getting smaller and I thought more black in pigmentation, but today it's red. I washed and dabbed it with betodine and have been dry docking her. Does this look like a cut or something else? Any treatment suggestions? First time I deal with a turtle injury and want to make sure she gets the proper care.

I was reading about using antibiotics cream but, I am not sure. Other than the cut, turtle is responsive, eating well and swimming. How long does a wound take to scab over.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_3709.jpg
Head Injury
IMG_3708.jpg
Head Injury
tartarugamom

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:18 am   Re: Head Cut/Injury

Kobe is hitting the nuchal scute, that's the narrow one behind her head. She has been overfed and she has not shed her scutes yet. They are retained and showing signs of pyramiding. For treatment, keep it dry, add a dab of neosporin and try to find an area that would keep her calm. Her putting her head up like that would only continue to irritate the wound.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care