Urgent Care :: Caring for my RES in freezing power outtage??

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:37 pm   Caring for my RES in freezing power outtage??

Hello, looking to get some help or advice. I am in the middle of the Texas power outtages our house is freezing. I have a 5ish year old male RES who has never known a temp change lol. We are not expected to get power back for awhile and his tank temp is going to drop more. He's already started showing signs of brumating but I'm worried he's not prepared for it nor what to do once the power comes back in a few days. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Ac66

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am   Re: Caring for my RES in freezing power outtage??

Maybe try dry dock him in a closet. Keep some hot water bottles next to his tub. As a bonus, it would be dark and he should sleep peacefully.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 pm   Re: Caring for my RES in freezing power outtage??

We have been affected as well. I figured they deal with the cold in the wild, so I didn't want to do too much. We allowed them to settle in the tank. They became less active, but didn't bruminate. The water temps fell to around 50-55 F. We will bring the temps back up as power stays on. I figure rapid temp changes are worse than just cold. I'm more concerned about the filters being off for 36+ hours. I'm afraid that the bacteria are all dead and we need to do a water change & cycle the tank. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Longhorn

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:28 pm   Re: Caring for my RES in freezing power outtage??

Good point about the bacteria. They usually bounce back pretty quickly and there should be live colonies in the tank too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care