Urgent Care :: Is this shell rot?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:32 am   Is this shell rot?

Hi guys! I'm really desperate.
So we got this little guy from petsmart a month ago.
He came with septicemia and a bad shell condition. We visited the vet and got antibiotics and a solution. His septicemia got better. But now the bottom of his plastron looks worse than when we first got him along with a smell. His plastron started peeling. I think it's shell rot, but the vet didn't say anything about it when we brought him, noted that his condition isn't as worse as it is now (no peeling- just bad smell and the discoloration).
Please help or any advice would be helpful please!
Attachments
2021-01-29 23-28.jpg
Turt-turt

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:40 pm   Re: Is this shell rot?

It does look like an infection, possibly shell rot. What were his septicemia symptoms? What was the "solution"? Any other actions taken? You might also want to be in touch with petsmart as they should offer some veterinary assistance (I would not give the turtle back though).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:50 pm   Re: Is this shell rot?

steve wrote:It does look like an infection, possibly shell rot. What were his septicemia symptoms? What was the "solution"? Any other actions taken? You might also want to be in touch with petsmart as they should offer some veterinary assistance (I would not give the turtle back though).

He was prescribed antibiotics and nolvasan. The underside was bright pink and spots of red and purple patches. We were instructed to soak him in the nolvasan solution, dry dock and give him antibiotics. It clears up a lot regarding to the redness. But now the white patches and the pit right up top in the middle appeared. His underside is also peeling.
Turt-turt

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:12 pm   Re: Is this shell rot?

Is it possible this was part of the previous infection and did not show up? I'm not sure if we're looking at something that is getting worse or healing. Nolvasan and a lot of dry docking should generally help with shell rot.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care