Urgent Care :: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:08 pm   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

It's OK but it usually looks like that (the translucent layer) if it came off too early or was forced off. As for it rubbing off... nothing you can really do about it, but just continue to work in a thin layer. How long have you been doing the treatments for?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

This is day 2 so far as I took a pause due to his head being scratched by the retained scutes.

I did find a piece of the shell that fell off when he was dry docking (he tends to move around a lot when he dry docks). Hopefully he'll be ok even if it came off too early? Definitely not forced by anyone. Also been feeding hikari and veggies to promote shedding so hopefully after this treatment plus the shedding he'll get better!!
guigui

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:32 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

Yes, remove any loose pieces. Fungus penetrates the shell, so try to get to the fresh fungal areas.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

So it's been about 5 days and the shell has definitely improved (see picture for what it looks like now). Thanks Steve for all the great advice!

I notice that the top now has a very thin flakey layer that looks like it can be scratched off, with healthy shell under it. This thin layer is very flakey - is it the fungus? Should I be lightly scrapping the flakey layer off?
Attachments
IMG_9838.jpg
guigui

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

Been a few days since I heard from Steve. He’s in New York and with this covid 19 ? Hope all is OK.

I expanded the last photo too see more. Since a little of the fungus is off compared to first photo can see shell better. If some is very loose "gently" remove it only. Use a babies soft tooth brush to help it lift off. Do not scratch it off unless you have an animal science degree. The fungus is attached to several layers keratin then to the scute then to bone that’s alive. If pulled or scratched off wrong will hurt the turtle ! Turtles feel pain !
It’s going to take awhile yet due to what I see in expanded photo , do not stop treatment anytime soon. The turtle been on a diet that needs adjustment , several layer of retained scute are seen. The fungus can penetrate several layers of keratin/scutes . Turtle needs a good shed or two to be a normal healthy shell. Will take a very good "full" shed to see shell improve better. If the scutes on the very edges start to lift do not pull/ scratch them to help either ! The turtle knows how to help them off on it’s own without pain. If habitat been setup correct and offers something to rub against the turtle will help the retained scutes off when they are ready. Like a raised rock or driftwood off the bottom of tank so he can get under it to rub the loose scutes off. You will see him under it doing the turtle dance to remove them. See several layers needs to come off wont be quick or easy for the turtle to get them off but in time ( months) will come off. Since so many retained scutes may take two sheds to see a good shell. That may take a couple years since captive turtle your size do not shed every year.
Adjust diet now for shell health and more time and attention to setup to help prevent the fungus from coming back. If setup not corrected fungus will come back with a vengeance and will be harder to treat than now. If fungus infection penetrates into the blood stream ….
A well balance , varied and nutritious diet will help the shell issue’s over time not over night.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:21 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

Hi Litefoot, thanks for checking... everyone here is fortunately good. I hope the same is true for you and your family!

guigui - It does look so much better, I would focus on any spot that is a bright white as that is more active fungus. Don't worry about the flaky layer, concentrate on a good diet/habitat/basking as you will want a good shed or two next. Are you still cleaning the shell? I would carefully go around the seams, just to make sure there is no sort of buildup there. Perhaps do it weekly as maintenance.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 pm   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

Thanks litefoot and Steve! I'm still cleaning the shell everyday with a soft toothbrush so I'll carefully go around the seams. Other than silver sulfadiazine and dry docking, is there anything else I should do about the fungus?

Also, with regards to diet for shedding, he gets red leaf lettuce every day and then Hikari pellets a 2-3 times a week, with a good UVB bulb and platform that he usually takes advantage of. Any other suggestions for diet that will help him with shedding?

There's currently a rock but I'll probably have to get another thing so that he can better rub his scutes against.
guigui

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:32 pm   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

Even if you go to a herp Vet he/she will tell you to do same thing.
It takes time and lots of patients on your part. Also correcting the diet along with tweaking the habitat can help prevent this from happening again.
Good UVB... , what (uW/cm²) micro watts number you are set at ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:12 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

I just be careful an not over do the cream. Fungus can build resistance, and after that, there are not many options left. Some people think wheat germ pellets help (Hikari Koi pellets) and blueberries, but that is mostly anecdotal. Basking is great overall... allows the shell to dry off, and allows the turtle to thermoregulate.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:37 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

So after about 5 months of dry docking him everyday, he’s finally shedded all of his shells!

Now, after the shedding was done I noticed there are some weird parts on the bottom of his shell (I’ve circled them in the attached pictures). Should I be concerned?

Also recently he hasn’t been eating the veggies at all but would eat pellets real quick so I’ve starved him for about a week by only having red lead lettuce there each day. He still hasn’t eaten it yet - any suggestions? Should I just keep waiting?
Attachments
2423A5E1-09A4-445B-BB06-161A3B016144.jpeg
F535BCC4-EF64-4024-8D3D-A4047CE4292A.jpeg
guigui

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am   Re: Bleeding on Arm - Caused by shell?

I just replied to your FB post, but it does look like a very small fungal infection. It will spread if left untreated and the cycle will begin again. When was the last time you used the cream?
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Urgent Care