Urgent Care :: Sick Turtle

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 pm   Sick Turtle

Hello Everyone,
I have been in and out of this site for more than 10 years and never really post anything but I do read a lot of things here. So my RES Mrs. Tortuga is 15 years old and has always been healthy. She recently laid three pretty large eggs. They were not fertilized. She usually has one clutch every spring / early summer. She skipped last year but the year before she had seven eggs and then another four a few days later. I knew she was gravid this year just based on past behavior. Restlessness, not eating much, etc. As I mentioned this happens almost yearly so I am used to it. Usually right after she lays the eggs her appetite comes back. She eats everything I give her and she has a diverse diet. This time the appetite did not come back. This led me to believe she still had more eggs. An x-ray at the vets originally showed only three eggs. Another x-ray once she laid the eggs showed no more. Something was definitely wrong here. Some other tests were done and through a fecal sample the vet told me she has rhabditiform parasites. She is now on Panacur which is a de wormer.

The second problem is that her follicles are still in a state where it seems she still has eggs. From what I was told after laying eggs the follicles should shrivel up. This did not happen which could be why she is still restless with a reduced appetite. The vet is recommending getting her spayed so as to prevent this issue going forward. Has anyone here had these kinds of issues? Any advise or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
msernak

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:46 am   Re: Sick Turtle

Prior to the medication, I wouldn't tie a general lack of appetite to being gravid. But now the Panacur is probably suppressing her appetite.

As for her follicles, this is a tricky situation. A turtle being spayed is extremely risky, and I'm not sure I would proceed unless her life was in jeopardy. If she was only gravid seasonally, and successfully lays them then I would continue with that. If she is constantly producing eggs with no hope of laying them, then that elevates the situation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:07 am   Re: Sick Turtle

To All,
Mrs. Tortuga has been diagnosed with Post Ovarian Follicular Stasis. I have been told the only way to cure is for her to get spayed. I know spaying is extremely risky however if it will make the problem go away and prolong her life I may pursue. I am getting a second opinion with a different herp vet tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
Mike
msernak

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:05 pm   Re: Sick Turtle

I don't think anyone on this forum or used to be here needed to have this surgery. I have seen a much older turtle get this procedure and it did not turn out well. I think getting a second opinion is a good idea, it is a very difficult decision to make.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care