Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Filter help

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 am   Filter help

Hi, I am Scott from Fort Lauderdale. I have an 18 year old Slider, my daughter named Speedy when they were both very young! I have a 55 gallon tank, Speedy lives in and all these years I have used a Marineland Hot Magnum Cannister Filter which hangs on the side of my tank. I am on number two and last night the inlet tube cracked a bit above the water line. I repaired it this morning with a special plastic bonding agent and it is working for now.
Apparently the filter is no longer available for purchase anywhere and I cant find a new inlet tube either on eBay or amazon or through google.
Does any one have this part or a whole new/used filter I could purchase?

Can anyone recommend a replacement filter that works as good as the Magnum Canister did all these years?
MANY THANKS!
Scott
scottjeffrey

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 pm   Re: Filter help

Hi Scott and Speedy! You're probably out of luck for OEM replacement parts, though you might be able find fixes at the hardware store... PVC, PEX, vinyl, etc. As for canisters, we usually recommend the Fluval FX series. Eheims are good too. These are standard canisters and need to be placed under the tank. The Aquaclear 110 is a good HOT filter, but it doesn't have an outlet pipe, but rather a waterfall effect.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:00 am   Re: Filter help

Many Thanks! I ended up ordering a
Marineland Magniflow 220 Canister Filter. I can return it. Is it any good?
Thanks Again, Steve!
Best Regards,
Scott
scottjeffrey

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:41 pm   Re: Filter help

I haven't used Marinland filters before, and I would not rate it above the other 2 brands mentioned but they most likely cost a bit more as well.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.