Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Making my terrarium more natural.

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 pm   Making my terrarium more natural.

As some of you know I recently got a eastern boxie. Right now she has the bare bone essentials (bedding, lighting, heat and hiding log) in her cage because I dont have alot of money. But I have been saving my money up to get her some more stuff for her cage. I am thinking of putting some plants in and maybe trying to make some kind of waterfall leading into her pond.
My first question is what kind of plants to use. I live in kentucky and want something that looks like it grows here. Second question about plants is can I use zoo meds cork rounds? Do you guys think they wood rot when I water the plants. I dont like how clay pots look, not natural enough. Also is there any speical lighting required for plants?
My third question is does anyone have any ideas for a waterfall and pond system. I have a custom built 48L X 18H 18W wooden enclosure that I sprayed with polyurathane, and it also has a plexi glass front so she can see out if she wants. The wood is water repealant but its not 100% water proof. My problem is I dont want water to get behind the liner and mold and rot the wood. I thought about maybe a pond liner and a zoo med pump. It only needs 2 inches of water to operate. Or even getting one of those reptifilters zoomed makes. They have to have 4 inches of water to operate, which is a little deep for little buttercup. So could I use creek rock to take up the extra 3 inches of water? I hope I am making sense, I have so many ideas running through my head. Anyway, any ideas from you guys and gals would be appreciated. Thanks Russell
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
2 Midland Painted turtle - Spike and Penelope
2 Eastern Box turtle- Buttercup and Betty
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 pm   

I have a small water fall and stream going into a small pond in my outdoor enclosure. I guess you could use the same concept only on a smaller level, in a large indoor enclosure.
When they are inside, I keep my boxies in planted vivariums. I put a long tube UVB light on one side and a heat emitter on the other side.
I use tropical house plants from a eatible list, and leave them in their little pots and just bury them. I put a split log across the middle...water dish and plants on the side with the long tube light, with frog moss around the water dish to keep it clean. On the other side under the heat emitter I have a lot of leaf litter for them to dig under. I don't use any hides in the boxie vivariums. These vivariums are for younger boxies that stay inside in the winter. Next Spring they go outside for good, except for the hatchlings.
This is the waterfall and stream outside. The enclosure is 7' x 6'.

I use this site for all my boxie and tortoise enclosures when picking out plants.
http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Some inside.

Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:31 pm   

terryo, your turtles have to be in heaven with that setup. Just amzing. I have my waterfall and pond system workied out, just have to get the stuff to make it. I was thinking of using pansies and maybe try a small strawberry bush. I do have one last question for you, actually its not really a question I just need a clarification on something, I dont have to have any special plant lighting? I already have a 5.0 UVB zoo med light.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 pm   

That's all I use for lighting. Post or send me some pictures when you are finished....always looking for good idea's myself.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 am   

Terryo wrote:That's all I use for lighting. Post or send me some pictures when you are finished....always looking for good idea's myself.

I will send some to you. I would post them for everyone but I dont know how to put them on the site.
2 RES-Josie and Wilma
1 Tiger oscar
1 Albino oscar
2 Jack dempsys
1 Red Devil
1 green severnum
1 Red spotgold severnum
2 Festivums
1 Jaguar cichlid
RR38

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm   

Go to photobucket.com and create an account. It's free. Download your pictures. They will give you options on the bottom of your picture. Copy and paste the one that says Img. and add it to your post.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm   

Go to photobucket.com and create an account. It's free. Download your pictures. They will give you options on the bottom of your picture. Copy and paste the one that says Img. and add it to your post.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:46 pm   

WoW Terryo, gorgeous set up! Poor Gherkin's gonna be jealous of your boxies if he sees that! I did add a FAKE ivy vine to make his enclosure more natural looking and give him some shade. Even that amount of cover seems to have made him more comfortable. Your set up has certainly given me some things to think about for when I design a larger enclosure when he gets bigger!
@ RR38, I think the uvb bulb will work as a grow bulb for plants, I suspect that with a UVB 5.0 you may even have to choose plants that appreciate "direct sunlight." I have had good luck with Pothos and Dracinea in my frog tanks and I don't even use UVB on my frogs, just a regular incandescent bulb.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion