Other Turtle Discussion :: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:23 am   Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Hi guys. I am a new RES owner. For the past months, Teela (my RES) was just fine. Very healthy and my nana would even take her to the garden for some sunlight.

She has a 20 gallon tank which i clean once a week, water treated. Her staple food are saki-hikari pellets and sera reptil shrimp thingies. She hates vegetables so maybe just vitamin a deficiency? But then I saw bubble in her mouth/nose area and they were a bit sticky :( I got home from work yesterday and found bubbles on her mouth and her eyes are so puffy. I Read that the only remedy I can give her are cod liver oil drops (none of the repti eye drops in this part of the world) for vitamin a deficiency. What other remedies can I give her? Medicine specifically for turtles are so difficult to find in the Philippines I think Teela might die. :(
Crissy123

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:03 am   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Sounds like a respiratory infection. I'm not really good in this area so you should wait for steve.
RedZz

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:32 am   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Sounds like an infection to me too :(

Cod liver oil would work quickly if it were a deficiency. Are there any other symptoms?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Many thanks for your reply guys.

She is starting to act weak now, her head is always down and her eyes closed. I tried cod liver oil and I will continue to apply. Is there an estimated time to for the oil to take effect?

She is still such a sweety tho and falls asleep when i rub her shell and sing to her.

Been calling up vets but not even one herp in my city or the next few cities. :( Taking her to Manila might kill her because of the long drive so all I have are home remedies. Anything else i can try other than cod liver oil?
Crissy123

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 pm   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Also, there is one thing. She kind of finds it difficult to breathe, I think? Her throat balloons up like a frog's sometimes when she tries to breathe.
Crissy123

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 am   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Cod liver oil would work right away, so I'm afraid this is something else. Keep her warm and try to get her to eat. Maybe you can look for local rescues or keepers who might be able to help?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 am   Re: Bubbles on mouth and eyes almost shut - Philippines

Without question you have a combination of what appears to be either a internal bacterial or parasitic infection that stemmed into a underlining respiratory. Anytime that this combined issue occurs results in the reptile being weak and lethargic if not taken to a vet and again preferred a exotic vet being at this level for sure. The next phase unfortunately is death if you do not seek veterinarian antibiotics immediately. If there was a home remedy of course, I am sure Steve would of advised you on or one of the more experienced members. Your turtle is really in the last stage and veterinarian help is needed immediately. This little one can be saved but injectable mandatory antibiotics is needed right away in which your vet would agree. I am truly sorry for informing you of this and what you are going through. :(

In the mean time, I do not know the temps you have her in and I believe that in the Philippines, your Country goes by celsius. I will recommend that until you get to a veterinarian to keep the temps around 28 celsius. The veterinarian may increase the temps based on the type of antibiotics ordered or they will tell you to keep it at the same. But this is a bare minimum temperature that any veterinarian would go by.

Good luck with your turtle princess and I hope the very best for her health.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion