Other Turtle Discussion :: My Friends Ask: How Long Do They Live?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 pm   My Friends Ask: How Long Do They Live?

...and they ask if I have made any plans for my turtle if I happen to die first.
Doodles will be 41 in May, I will be 68 later this year.
ed52

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:33 am   Re: My Friends Ask: How Long Do They Live?

What a cute name! I'm happy to hear s/he has reached 40--recently I've been hearing estimates that range from 20-50 years, much wider than the 40-50 I had originally heard. (My turtle is only 8, so I can't help much--sorry!)

I think it's a good idea no matter how old you are, especially with pets that aren't as "self explanatory" as a dog or cat. I'm not sure how much there really is to do, though, beyond having a willing friend get acquainted with their needs and maybe setting aside some money if possible.
Samuel T Jackson

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:16 am   Re: My Friends Ask: How Long Do They Live?

Everyone should have a long term care plan for their turtles. Sounds like you and Doodles have had a lot of adventures together! Like Samuel said, 50 is the upper range, though I think a rare handful reach 60+.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:27 pm   Re: My Friends Ask: How Long Do They Live?

Depending on who you speak to, you will get a variety of different answers from different sources. 25 to 40 years is what you normally will hear but some as low as 20. Anything over 40 years in my opinion is extremely rare I would take it so if indeed doodles which is a cute name is 50 plus years, you have a very unique turtle there that has lived its full life and if it was mine, I would be grateful for its long life span. Your experience in husbandry and care for doodles has to be over and beyond the expectations of turtle owners everywhere and I encourage you with your great skills to help other red ear slider owners everywhere including on these forums on how to look after our turtle children much better with providing answers to anyone of their questions
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Other Turtle Discussion