Photo Gallery :: End of 2018 Piggley update

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm   End of 2018 Piggley update

litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

litefoot wrote:https://vimeo.com/304853493

OMG, Piggley is such sweetheart... He is adorable... And your tank is marvelous, I just realized I was looking at your pictures online, and pictures of Piggley and his home. It is absolutely beautiful. I was showing your tank to my husband and telling him LOOK I WANT THIS FOR KORNI. haha.... Everything looks so nice, it's like fantasy... I just have a problem when Korni gets bigger where will I put big aquarium like that, I don't have a room or space for that, I can only put him outside, and try to shield it somehow... I guess we'll have to do in on the go, as he grows..

But your tank and Piggley.... FANTASY!
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:19 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

Piggley and I Thank You ! Are you still in the Bosnia area ? Outside can work with a little help to insulate something like a stock tank. I would not use a glass tank outside. I had all my stock tanks outside for may years. After Hurricane Katrina and being so old now I could only have one inside . We love it ! In Bihac' you may only have to over winter in a small tank inside during January and February . Something to think about. You have plenty of time being so small now , if so , plan well it can and does work outside.

The key in this hobby is to observe well and offer time to a turtle they are like children. Watching what they do and how is there way of talking so observe. Piggley has me trained well ! Babies don't like a lot of change but Piggley's not a baby anymore. He likes changes keep his curiosity going. A few thread's down from this one " PIGGLEY" are some photos for a few changes a stock tank allows you to do for some ideas.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

Yes, I'm in Bosnia. Winters here come around November and lasts till March-ish... It depends, sometimes winters are rough and cold with lots of snow, and sometimes mild and more rainy than snowy. I'm a planer as a person, so planing for Korni's outside tank is never early if you ask me. Bigger problem is finding turtle equipment and necessary stuff. You can't get anything for serious turtle owners. Those plastic bowls with built in docks and stuff, it's painful really haha.. In most zoo stores you can't even find any food except shrimps. I went to our local store in Bihac, and asked for pellets, he looked at me like I'm an idiot and was TURTLES EAT SHRIMPS, YOU BUY SKHRIMPS. and I said MISTER, YOU SHOULD CLOSE YOUR SHOP, OR AT LEAST GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'R DOING OR AT LEAST CARES. So I found online shop from Sarajevo, and I order stuff from there, but there is also a little to be found for turtles. That's really ironic because there are a lot of people who have turtles as a pets.

I believe I'll have to build it somehow, I don't think it's gonna be that easy.Now, I first got to get a new bigger inside aquarium, I have a small one now, I believe it can buy me a couple of months I hope with Korni. I would like to build him something similar to yours, cause it's just simple but cozy and beautiful. Really stylish :D
VanjaSasa

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

Even in the US hard to find good items for turtles. Especially when they are adult size. Some workers are told what to push for turtles just because it has a higher mark up. Not even being adequate for a turtle , sad ! One learns to improvise ! Be creative , stock tanks with the shipping cost may not be real to get. Look at food grade containers , rain barrels other ideas for a larger tank. Also hope for males will only at adult size need a 55- 75 gallon tank. Whereas a female being much larger would at adult size need a 120 gallon tank. Even cheaply made glass tanks that size are $$$. Look elsewhere for ideas. Food wise it gets easier when "adults" . Change to more vegetarians. Most should be on 50-70% veggies by then and you can grow your own inside with a plant light.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

Very nice video. What camera are you using? The picture is super clear. Is that a heater guard you're using? I recently ordered something similar, haven't received it yet. Glad to know he had a good year . :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 am   Re: End of 2018 Piggley update

Thanks.
It's only a 8.0mp camera on my cheap consumer cellular phone. Also got away from youtube "Vimeo" much better and has a free plan.

To me it's the cycling ! Let nature do most of the work ! I keep across the board all ( 0's) on testing. Proper % water changes for my setup ( small to maintain the cycle) not killing it off with large 30-40% changes and mostly 80-90% bio media in the filter helps. Finally got one of my neighbors to let me cycle there tank , they can not believe the difference , looks like the fish are swimming in air !
You know I preach cycling. Some think water is water... Maybe by my videos will make some a believer ?

Yes on the heater guard , a must too me ! Turtles can and sometimes will burn there feet without one ! Early days use to make my own. This one simple and much cleaner looking than the one's I made...
litefoot

Return to Photo Gallery