Urgent Care :: Health concerns (sorry it's so long!)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:42 pm   Health concerns (sorry it's so long!)

I wanted to share this in hopes that someone may have some advice for me...
I took my turtle to the vet last week. He had been acting really lethargic, and when I took him out of his tank to get some exercise I noticed he wasn't using his front left leg. The vet took an X-rays and there is something going on with his joint (me being an X-ray tech myself I found this very interesting, and was able to see the difference between the good and bad leg). They aren't exactly sure what it is. It's possibly arthritic changes, possibly a sprain. They gave him an anti-inflamatory, and I have to give him antibiotic injections for a few weeks. (you should see how tiny the amount is!!)
That's when I found this website. Between the information my vet gave me and what i've found on here I have gotten him everything he needs to be happy and healthy. I've had him for 16 years, and for the most part I have been doing most things right. He did need a larger tank and uv bulb, and I wasn't feeding him veggies often enough.
That's where my concern comes in. I am so worried that his lack of lighting and balanced diet has done something to him. He seems happy enough, and has been getting around ok since our vet visit, but you can still tell he is favoring his leg. We go back to the vet in 2 weeks for a follow up to hopefully figure out the cause. If any one has any advice or words of wisdom I would greatly appreciate it!!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 pm   

I think I would add some cuttle bone to his diet and get him into some unfiltered sunlight this summer.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:12 pm   

Oh i should have added that I did get him some cuttle bone also. He doesn't seem too interested in it yet!

I do also plan on setting something up for him outside. Unfortunately I live in a 2nd floor apartment, but I do have a small deck.
tissigirl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:13 pm   

give him plenty of uvb and cuttlebone. Also, you can crush the cuttlebone into a powder and dust his food in it to make sure he's getting the calcium. Try some dandelion greens, they're also high in calcium. It sounds like he's suffering affects from getting no uvb and no calcium. Give him as much as possible and you should see some improvement in a few weeks. Good luck! btw, before feeding the cuttlebone, be sure to break off the hard backing first because he can't digest it.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:27 pm   

woah dude, 16 years with no UV? metabolic bone disease, ahoy!
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:51 am   

Well I know his problem is not bone disease, because whatever it is it is affecting the joint. And metastatic bone disease does not affect the joints. Not that he isn't at risk of that.
tissigirl

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:50 pm   

sounds like your vet has it under control so far. Adding calcium and uvb will definetly help tho. :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Urgent Care