Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: newbie!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:49 pm   newbie!

hi guys! I have had my red ear sliders (adrianne & penelope) for atleast 6 months :) I finally got them in a 10 gallon tank and they are incredibly happy! I am an undergrad student at the university of south florida..as a tech writing major..

anywho, I think this site is really cool, and I'm glad to see that people care as much as I do for my turtles!

Prashant
I'm a noob!
scubaprashant

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:00 pm   

I don't think they are incredibly happy. If there are two and they are 6 months old, that means they are going on 3 inches maybe? Depending on how much you feed them. RES need 10 gallons of space for even 1 inch in shell length. Let's suppose your turts are 3 and 2 inches...thats 50 gallons. What did you have them in before...LEMME GUESS...a FISHBOWL. Known as "deathbowls" in the biz. I know you may love your turtles. If you cant afford a much larger tank and adequate filtration and lighting, and that reminds me, do you have a place for the turtles to dry off completely? A Basking Lamp/heat radiator? Flourescent UVB Lighting? A calcium supply in their diet? For RES the filter in the tank needs to be rated for 3 times the tank size. 50 gallon tank = 150 gallon filter. If you can't afford this you need to give your turtles up to a turtle rescue organization. maybe you can afford to keep one? I know it'd be hard for me to separate from my Honu, but I'm lucky I can afford these things. UPS pays well :wink:
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:49 pm   

Welcome! My cousin just graduated from USF last year. Woohoo! haha

Little harsh there da sACUE
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:49 am   

Not harsh at all. Harsh are the conditions the turtles are in.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:15 am   

da Sauce, please go a lil easier on people. I've noticed that you're telling everyone to give up their turtles. I know it's because you care about them, but these people do too, or they wouldn't be here. If you see that their setups aren't appropriate, you can always refer them to the care info on this site.

Thanks
Jen
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:34 am   

well put!
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:52 am   

ding ding ding

yayyyy
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:50 pm   

i reviewed my posts and you guys are right. i dunno...sorry. I'll go easier, lol. 8)
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:51 pm   

no hard feelings :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:25 pm   

hehehe, its true, new owner's of RES can only take in so much information at once, do what I do, tell them to go to each forum and check out each sticky, then they'll do it step by step :)
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:54 pm   Harsh

Hi I am new to the site and am enjoying it so much thank you da sauce for the "Im sorry thing" I realize words read are often as misunderstood as words spoken can be so heres what I was doing b-4 I got to this page just absorbing the gr8 info everyone was giving and not putting any kind of tone to it :lol: but ur right all, telling a turtle lover to give up the turtle instead of teach is kinda hard some can afford everything the little fellows need they just didnt know they needed em light green turtle bowls with an island and fake palm tree is what most pet stores offer as a good turtle habitat thats why I enjoy this site so much so everyone keep up the good work give all you can thanks
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 pm   

I love your quote on the bottom of the page Lydia!! :wink:
vickiebe

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:28 am   

Thanks I need reminding often somethings are just ment to be lol :?:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:48 am   

lol Don't we all need that reminder ! :)
vickiebe

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.