Feeding and Nutrition :: Commercial Turtle Foods

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

What Brand(s) of Turtle Food Do You Feed Your Turtles?

Reptomin/Reptomin Baby
55%
Mazuri
2%
Zoo-Meds
11%
Nutrafin
11%
Rep-Cal
No votes
Wardleys
17%
Other
4%

Total votes : 47

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:48 pm   Commercial Turtle Foods

I'm curious about what brands of commerical turtle foods people are feeding their turtles as part of their overall diets. :)

I was hoping members could indicate more than one choice if they rotated brands, but it looks like only one choice is allowed. :?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:58 pm   

I use Nutrafin but also use Raffi
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:02 pm   

I should have specified that with my RES I'm using Mazuri but alternating with Rep-Cal. The painted hatchlings are being given Reptomin Baby.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:56 pm   

I alternate between Wardley's and Zoo-meds but 3 out of 5 times I use wardley's
andywoo87

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:31 pm   

I ues Nutrafin, but sometimes switch with Reptomin. I personally like to feed them Nutrafin more b/c it has a bit less protien, and i think it has more Vit. D3 than Reptomin. :roll:
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:31 am   

I started out with Reptomin and now I feed ZooMeds,
I keep feeder fish with the turtles and about once a month I supplement with calcium powder, drop a turtle shaped conditioner about once a month, and I will feed them some kind of vegetable, a piece of banana (not that often), carrot slices, and whatever is available at the time. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:31 pm   

I use Exo Terra Aquatic Turtle Adult... from one from Hagen
lol is nobody using this? i just got it recently too.. should i switch out? my res seems to like it tho.. cept i have to break each pellet into 2 pieces, since shes not totally an adult yet. and the pellets don't float.. but other than that seems ok (full w/ calcium and vitamin D3 and stuff).
TrooperRES

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:01 pm   

I Hear that Mazuri is the best with Reptomin, and Pretty Pets coming in 2nd. (If I remember correctly I got that information from Austins turtle page & the turtle forums there. ) I cannot get Mazuri where I am at, so I use Reptomin with lots of veggies.
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:22 pm   

wardleys, reptomin, and sanyu, feeder fish veggies fruits and plants earth worms
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:32 pm   

Soopermum, is there a Petsmart near you? They've been selling it there for a while now. I read somewhere (TF, I think) that Rep-Cal is also good (2nd or 3rd behind Mazuri). I'm alternating with it because it's lower in protein than Mazuri. (Mazuri=40%, Rep-Cal=33%). Plus, my RES seemed to get a little more fussy about what he ate after I started giving him Mazuri and I don't want him to get any more spoiled than he is already.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:44 pm   

I feed ReptoMin baby.. becasue thats what was sent with the little guy (I'm just turtle sitting for the summer) We bought ReptoTreats.. shrimp for him. He eats the good lettuce and loves grapes but wont touch carrots.
The reptomin are the only things he gets on a regular basis.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
soomc

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:59 pm   

Marisa, I was in Petsmart the other day looking at automatic feeders and saw the Mazuri, I was astounded! Needless to say the local Pet Needs is easier to get to than Petsmart (construction on Telegraph Rd) which is why I hadn't been in there in a while. I was also looking for a food that would go thru the feeder easily. What shape is a Mazuri pellet?

I was thinking that a round pellet would go thru the feeder easier.
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:36 pm   

I found their website if anyone is interested, it is info on the aquatic turtle food:
http://www.mazuri.com/5m87-5e08.htm

This is their main site: http://www.mazuri.com/
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:35 pm   

You're in luck, Soopermum--they're round (they look something like Zoo-Meds Aquatic Turtle Food). One good thing about Mazuri is that it says freezing it is OK and may extend the shelf life of the product--easier to stock up on :) ). They also date the can, which I like.

What kind of feeder are you thinking of buying?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:35 pm   

I am looking at a feeder by Nutrafin, they are easy to find, and not real expensive. Although I am not adverse to spending money on my turtles, but the budget is a little tighter than I like right now.
soopermum62

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition