Feeding and Nutrition :: Squash Seeds and Other Greens

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 pm   Squash Seeds and Other Greens

Is it okay to give RES's the seeds from squash (acorn in particular and pumpkin)? Are squashes like carrots in that they only get that once a week or can I give squash/zuchinni every other day?

Also, I wanted to know if she might like basil and parsely and how nutritious is it for her.
fluffytheturtle

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 am   

Varities of squash are OK and a good source of vitamin C. Some do contain more phosphorus than calcium, so I would not offer it more than twice a month. I don't know about squash seeds specifically; but in general, nuts, pits and seeds should not be given to your turtle.

I also don't know about basil but do not use parsley (oxalic acid).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm   

uh-oh I have been giving her squash every other day for a while now. I thought it was ok. What else can I give her every day with her lettuce? I know pellets every other day and carrots once a week. Fruit once a month. Squash twice a month. Treats twice a month. So what is left? LOL
fluffytheturtle

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:36 pm   

You can feed tomatos occassionally, green pepper, red pepper, dandelions, different types of lettuce. The key is variety. If you are going to feed lettuce every day, then make it different kinds of lettuce. But, you don't have to offer lettuce every day. You might do dandelions one day, or tomatos one day. Change it up!
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:02 pm   

Your turtle should be fine, even if you have been giving her squash every other day. It just should be used in small amounts and as long as there is additional calcium in the diet, then it's fine. From what I understand, summer squash has more phosphorus than calcium though winter squash has a better ratio.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:32 pm   

I have not been able to find dandelion greens anywhere. I still need to because I REALLY want to feed them to my RES.

I gotta try more bell peppers. I just thought they might be a little acidic on her tummy?
fluffytheturtle

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:12 pm   

Bell peppers are sweeter than they are acidic, I think. Any ways, tomatoes are more acidic than bell peppers. I'd give them a try. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:50 pm   

Basil is OK. My RES grew up on it (and he's a healthy boy. :)) I occasionally give all my turts basil leaves from the garden (my first time growing it, and I've got a bumper crop). Parsley is extremely high in oxalic acid, so skip it (and I've never known a turtle to like it).

Squash is a good source of beta carotene (Vit A), Vit C isn't an issue. I give my turtles squash a few times a week, rotated with other veggies. And I rotate the variety of squash as well. If your turtle is getting a balanced diet and you don't consistently feed squash a lot, I wouldn't get all worked up over which squash has the better CA/Phos ratio. Just use some common sense. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:16 pm   

Thanks for the good info. I grow basil and it's my turtle's favorite. He liked to nibble on parsley too, which I also grow, but I won't give him any more if it's not good for him.

I don't suppose anyone knows about mint leaves? Mint is extremely easy to grow and I've always got a couple of kinds going. Haven't offered them to Spot yet because mint is so strong.

Spot likes fresh figs too. Figs are another Texas staple.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:47 pm   

Yours is the first turtle I've heard of that liked parsley. My RES used to be so nuts about basil when he was younger that on days I gave it to him, I could smell it when I walked by his tank (he used to tear it up into little pieces before he would systematically eat them). He'll still eat it, but not as eagerly as he used to. His current favs are cantelope and red bell peppers.

Honestly don't know about mint, at least for turtles. I know that I like fresh mint in ice tea, though. :) I've never tried figs.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:42 pm   

How wonderful to have a turtle tank that smells like fresh basil!
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm   Re: Squash Seeds and Other Greens

Ive been giving Pickles and Emmet carrots and they'll nibble on them for days is this bad?? :? Also I have some squash I'd like to give them, why can't they have it every day?. Does the basil need to be fresh?
Stealmysunshine

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am   Re: Squash Seeds and Other Greens

Hello and welcome ,

You may want to make a new topic on this. You tacked on to an old post from 2006 ! See the "New Topic " button upper left on each page. You may get more response?

As with us a good well balanced diet , varied and nutritious goes a long way.

Everyday even you and I would get tired eating the same thing everyday...

Good read : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition