Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle before

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:07 am   Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle before

Hi all, Tina here from the state of NY. I was brought 2 red ear sliders as a rescue about a month ago. They came in a 29 gal long tank, no lights no dock, nothing. I have never even entertained the idea of owning turtles,I am a fish hobbyist usually. I have been scouring the internet for basic info, one is very big and one is kind of smaller. Just trying to make these guys comfy, bought them a fake dock, lights, rocks and 2 filters as soon as I got them, started feeding Flukers buffet along with kale and carrots, they love carrots. I cannot keep this water clean and they seem rambunctious or stressed during the day, not sure if that's just their temperament or if I need to do something else. I have been doing 2/3 water change daily. I realize they need a bigger space and a better diet, I was told they weren't fed anything for at least 2 weeks before I got them. One is approx. 6 inches and the other 4.5. I have offered them to friends that I know could take care of them but the large size of the big one seems to turn folks away. I really don't want them to be neglected again and there goes my soft spot for critters. Hoping to find lots of info here. :mrgreen:
Tina M

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 am   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Hi Tina! Do you know how old your turtles are? From your description, you might have a female and a male, which usually requires separation once they get older. As for water issues, have you tried feeding them in a separate container? Technically, you also need a much larger tank and filter you are going to keep them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:20 am   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Thank you Steve, I am not certain of ages but I think the larger one - Franklin aka Snorkel is male, he keeps waving his claws in the little ones face. He has big claws and long tail. The smaller one is Koopa Troopa aka Pondra, thinking she is female since I've read this is wooing activity on the big guys actions, but the little one just totally ignores him and pushes him out of the way. Struggling with this notion of keeping them, feeling a bit old to get a whole new hobby that needs so much attention but I care about them and don't want to hastily give them away. I haven't had the nerve to pick them up yet hope that doesn't sound terrible, so I haven't taken them out of the tank for feeding.
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

The waving of claws is called fluttering, and both males and females do it. It's usually sent as a signal to the other to "back off". I completely understand your reluctance to keep them... but you should make a decision soon so their husbandry can be sorted out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Steve, everyone, I am overwhelmed. I now have noticed a pink/white fleshy looking spot on the smaller turtle on the edge of her shell on top and I feel so bad. I know the housing is not proper but i do my best to change water daily or every other day depending on if there was feeding, I don't want this little creature to suffer at my hands but I don't know what to do next. My daughter told me it could be shell rot, clean it with soap and put medicine and take her out of the water. I just am such an amateur, I am not sure what it is and don't want to make it worse. I've been reading and reading what it could be, what it looks like and no two pictures look the same, what to do about it and what can happen.....overwhelmed. Where do I start? Also, how long is it safe to keep an RES out of the water and how long do I put meds on it? Does she need a heat lamp on it? I've read wash her with soap and toothbrushes but don't get soap on the skin how do I do that?! I'm freaking out. :cry:
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 am   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Can you post a picture, including one of the area when it's dry? Let's try to make sure we know what we're dealing with first before jumping into treatments.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Trying not sure how to get the picture In here, Img isn't doing anything.
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:00 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Reading and learning lol, will be posted soon I hope :)
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:31 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

so I realize the photbucket stupid thing is over the bigger sore, idk how to get that off of there.
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

So just now I was walking past the tank and I see Snorkel trying to take a bite out of Pondra on the side with the smaller sores! Maybe this is the issue, will be separating them. :( this is not going well at all.
Tina M

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:15 am   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

You can email larger pics to me if that would help, as I think I spot fungus from the pictures. As for the attacking, it's pretty common for animals to pick at injuries, but separating them is necessary and the sooner, the better.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Okay, so I noticed the little girl's (I think) condition is getting worse. I have the betadine and toothbrush, some of her shell on the edge is down to flesh. I have had the worst experience ever with turtles, my heart hurts to look at her and to think I have failed her. I want to help but feel I will be hurting because I really don't know what I'm doing. Can you link me to any posts or websites that show how to do this properly? Not sure how much cream to put on. I have liquid Dial anti bacterial soap, not sure if that's ok. I think most of the damage is the other turtle biting and they are now separated. :cry: Will try to get new pics out to photobucket.
Tina M

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm   Re: Hello everyone, new turtle owner/never had a turtle befo

Also how long can she be out of water?
Tina M

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.