Urgent Care :: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm   Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Hi everyone! Not sure if this forum is still active but I got to try because I need some advice regarding my two red ear sliders' growth. I have attached photos of my two RES. Both are still quite young, less than a year old. I saw online some concerns regarding pyramiding and the way to spot pyramiding is rather ambigous so I was wondering if any experienced terrapin keepers can help me to identify if my two RES are growing well. I am rather worried because I am unsure if their diet is ok, too much or too little. For now, I am feeding them about 8 pellets each for once a day. Occasionally, I would feed them lettuce, fruits and blood worms (maybe once every two weeks). I have attached some pictures. If there is anyone that can provide help, do advice me accordingly. Thank you!
Attachments
20190602_020718.jpg
RES #2: B
20190602_020137.jpg
RES #1: J
dwsyr

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:46 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

There is a little pyramiding but more signs of over feeding. How long are their shells?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:41 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

J was bought about a month later than B. J is approx 7cm (2.8 inches) and B is approx 10cm (3.9 inches).

Do you have any recommendations?
Last edited by dwsyr on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwsyr

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:51 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Cut down on treats/protein and introduce some veggies. Make sure no one is sneaking them food.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Thank you so mich @steve. Can I ask, for the number of pellets, should I keep it at 8 pellets per day or cut it down? When I search online or talk to other keepers, they give me varying amounts so I am rather confused.
dwsyr

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Without knowing what kind of pellets, just be conservative with pellets and gradually reduce the amounts. If they have a varied diet, they don't need many pellets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

"Number of pellets"

Used the top header on this forum , many helpful things such as nutrition. See there for the 2/3's rule , works for turtles from yearling to juvenile to adult. Your turtles may be a little under one but growing a little too fast by measurements given. Adjust diet. As Steve stated a good well varied diet helps especially as there requirement change to more on the veggie side. By adulthood require 50- 70% veggie and protein only every other day.

http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html

Also look at plant/ veggie links to on what's safe.

Other than adjusting both there diets to prevent problems down the road , nice looking turtles.
Any photo of there setup?
If in same tank now may have to separate once they get older ( sexually mature) or hope both are females with the same personality's . Other combos will need /require separation unless in a large setup for territorial space.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Hello guys! Thanks for all the advice. I will try to follow them and hopefully, can see improvements within the next few months.

Picture of my set up is as shown on this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3V6W8 ... p=drivesdk

Do give me advice regarding my tank setup as well. I am always looking for ways to improve. For now, I am working on the above the tank basking area. Hopefully will get that done within the next week or so.
dwsyr

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:00 pm   Re: Is this early sign of pyramiding? Need advice :(

Looks pretty good for today's size they are. When they grow up some think about a longer tank than high tank . Depending when sexual mature and sex's you may have to separate them down the road.

Keep you "ATBA" simple like just fill tank and use plex glass to make four walls high enough for safety. Use what you have now until upgrade time. Save some money today and plan on there next tank.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care