General Care Discussion :: Is that fungal infection?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:58 am   Is that fungal infection?

I cant tell if this fungal infection or something else pls help ... There's white spot on the spine as well
Attachments
received_689502348110945.jpeg
Aliness96

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:19 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

The white down the middle is normal. Hard to tell if there is fungus, you need to keep a close eye on it. You might be able to tell more in a week or two.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:50 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Agree with Steve !

Good job on observing ! Keep observing.

The kertin layer may be lifting on the pleural scute due to a shed starting. If the edges do lift don't try to pull up or off , that's normal to when shedding starts.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Ok thanks but
Is it normal for shedding to occur in this age? Swimmy is 3 months old
Aliness96

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Unless you hatched it from an egg hard to say how old it is. Once they dissolve the yolk sack and on regular food ( protein rich for babies) they grow fast. About 2-3 x's the rate of a juvenile turtle. The DNA has a lot to do with it but yes they do ! A very few beginners may notice some skin shedding when in the water but the scutes are so thin and translucent on babies most never notice it. Around 2 or 3 months is normal for the shell to start with sliders. Babies shed quite a bit , most beginners take it for a fungus. Before a years time you will need a 30 gallon tank minimum. The growth rate does slow down a lot when adults and captive adult turtles only shed once a year or two by then. But babies will shed a few times by the 3" (SCL) size .
Watch the edges of the second and third pleural on the right side may be first ones to shed I see a little lifting. There's no set pattern on how they shed , not even all at one time. Some take a long time so have patience with turtles. A good habitat also will help a turtle shed better. With a poor habitat dirty water can get trapped under shedding scute and the a fungus for sure will set in.
Just as a note : lots of fungus and or problems can be prevented with a good habitat , prevention and observing is key in this hobby. That's your part ! Observe for any changes still , easier to prevent than cure. A good habitat goes a long way for a happy and healthy Swimmy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Ok ill keep observing
Thanks alot sir i appretiate it .
Aliness96

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:05 am   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Just noticed that the seams around the scutes are a bit wide, so you might need to cut down on pellets/protein for now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:07 am   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Thanks' Steve , me too , noticed that especially around the marginal growth rings but forgot to mention it too. Aliness96 adjust diet , if 3 months and from picture looks to me like it's 1 5/8's maybe 1 3/4's (SCL) is growing a little fast on present diet. Just like a child will over eat foods they like , it's your job to offer correct balanced and nutritious diet. Captive turtle always beg and the older they get the better at it they become. Don't give in to that !
Wild turtle's are not always successful on every hunt , it's instinct to keep looking for food , captive "you" control that.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 am   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Well he is only eating pellets and some dried shrimp for treats
I offered him lettuce and other stuff(fruits) but he didnt eat any
Aliness96

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 am   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Keep offering the greens , never to early to start them on that but some will only eat veggies once they are juveniles. Babies want / need the high protein due to the faster growth rate.

It's the "amount" and "how many times a day" getting the pellets ? How many pellets and or shrimp a day Swimmy is getting at each feeding ? How many feeding's a day you give at that amount ? Any one else in house giving in to the begging and giving few extra pellets , maybe even you ?

Stay away from fruits , only a few and those types are very limited. Most are not a staple at all. A turtle would not normally encounter them in the wild.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:54 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Swimmy is growing! ... His shell is turning dark green
just wanted to update :mrgreen:
Attachments
received_420630868505847.jpeg
Aliness96

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

Looking better! Since he's getting older, you can switch to even more veggies in his diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:21 am   Re: Is that fungal infection?

He eats everything now including veggies.
Aliness96

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

That's good to hear. They can be a bit picky when younger (and older). If anything, cut down on the pellets/protein/treats at this point.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm   Re: Is that fungal infection?

just wanted to ask if res gets lonely? recently swimmy(my turtle) is acting strange ... he is doing mating signals on the decorations in the tank :roll:
i dont know if this is normal or he really needs a mate ... i have him for more than a year now
Attachments
8858B70A-3CA1-4FAA-9D6D-0E24E0C88264.jpeg
8858B70A-3CA1-4FAA-9D6D-0E24E0C88264.jpeg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
Aliness96

Next

Return to General Care Discussion