Feeding and Nutrition :: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 pm   Water conditioner for my RES tank

Hi Guys,

I need opinions!
Currently I am using Baxter's Laboratories Anti-Chlorine for my turtle tank. It is the most affordable one i can get here in Singapore.
But it stated on packaging that it is for fish aquarium. I am planning to purchase Microbe-lift Aquatic Turtle Bacterial Water Balancer which i read is good for my :mrgreen: but that will have to wait until end of Nov.
https://www.microbelift.com/product/aqu ... -balancer/

ZooMed Reptisafe & API Sludge Destroyer/Water conditioner is really hard to get here and pretty pricey for me to purchase online. (around 50-60 SGD)
So currently I am settling for that aquarium condition that i mentioned.

So far I have been using it for a few weeks.
Attached some pictures of the conditioner, please let me know if it is ok for me to use them or should I stop using it temporarily

Thanks a bunch! :)
Attachments
baxter_lab_3in1_antichlorine_antiammonia_for_shrimp_tank_or_fish_tank_1452335303_b506d6ba.jpg
baxter_lab_3in1_antichlorine_antiammonia_for_shrimp_tank_or_fish_tank_1452335303_429a6e0b.jpg
baxter_lab_3in1_antichlorine_antiammonia_for_shrimp_tank_or_fish_tank_1452335303_4b4d7be5.jpg
baxter_lab_3in1_antichlorine_antiammonia_for_shrimp_tank_or_fish_tank_1452335302_51366395.jpg
tasharozario

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

First I'm an very old timer , only 55 years with turtles. I do "not" use any man made chemicals to control the water ! Not even water conditioners ! Us old timers like to have full control of that. I/we believe in natural water cycling . Read up on it , it helps even your filter work better when it's setup for a turtle.
Here's one article on it , yes says for "fish" tank but is the same for turtles : http://www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cy ... r-aquarium

One of the keys to cycling is the more water you have the easier it is to start a cycle and to maintain it.

That conditioner sounds good if statement's are true , especially with the chloramine's. From my homework Singapore has some of the cleanest / safest tap water in the world .
The bacterial one would help but watch the dates for expiration. Also how the warehouse stores it to keep the bacteria alive is a big deal....

Study up on cycling it's truly the way to go. As they grow and yes get big it will help lots ! Also save lots of money and you will have full control of the water .

One thing I would start doing is to pull up the "MSDS" (material safety data sheets) on any product you want to use to see all info on a product. Most reputable companies offer it some were on there page. If not just google it. A product named for "reptiles" are not always adequate for aquatic turtles !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:49 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

I'm not a fan of those chemicals either but I would say to use activated carbon instead. It's cheap, safe and I don't think there is a shelf life*. It removes chlorine/chloramines/odors and improves water clarity. Many water filtration systems use it (pitchers and refrigerators) too.

edit - * when unused in its sealed container
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:56 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Yes carbon is good and natural. There is no shelf life on carbon always good. But once used in a tank removing the toxins even the best of them get saturated and will leach back into the water over time , so must change regular. Your oven does not get hot enough to re activate it ( needs 700-900 degrees to re-activate it again) so buy in bulk and use a media bag to make your own packs. When it leaches back in depends on each and every setup , all are different . Best is to change it out every 4-6 weeks to be sure all is good. Be careful with those pre made inserts that some use . Too many people just rinse them off to save money and put them back in filter. Some have a little carbon in them and that part is what leaches toxins back into a tank. A good test kit is good to have but most do not test the chlorine level. At most big box stores in the plumbing dept's they have for "free" chlorine test strips material that is what I use . I also send a sample to my local college that test my water for free once a year just so I know whats going on. There will be a time like use old timers you will not even need a test kit , we can tell by just looking what the water needs and using proven methods like cycling helps a lot. But that does not happen over night took me decades. I do still keep a test kit to use once in a great while to double check me.

PS: On filters I always look for one that I can use my own media setup. Filters systems are cheap to a point but they make there money off you buying those "pre made bag's" that are very expensive .
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Thanks guys!
Am going to reduce the amount of powder I use for the tank :D
tasharozario

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:23 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Just a quick question; if the conditioner is safe for fish, wouldn't it be automatically safe for reptiles as well? I don't have chlorine in my water so I've never looked into it :|
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

They don't "all" have the same requirements. RES's are very hardy and chlorine and chloramine not deadly but it is a potential skin / eye irritant to a point. "Quick answer" It's the chemicals in some water conditioners like "sodium thiosulfate" that so many use in there conditioners that's the problem. See "MSDS".

I deleted all other info I wrote was very very long. Use search box on subject . There is one on this forum that has a high degree of excellence on the subject , does extensive research as I , search his threads and replys. It's very much worth it. He's better in communicating for one to understand water conditioners. Or click on his name then click user's post and look at the ones on water conditioners , cycling and or water quality. Very good reads. It's VeipaCray a moderator , he like I do our best to keep chemicals out our tanks so we have full control.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Made a little edit to my post... but I don't think activated carbon expires when sealed in its container.

PokePony - the quick summary is that it's not truly safe, and those chemicals are just converted to something less toxic and remain in the water. On the other hand, carbon pulls it out of the water and you need to regularly change it from the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:05 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Thank you for the infos :)
Well, as I said I don't use it anyway, but it's always good to know!
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:50 am   Re: Water conditioner for my RES tank

Yes, glad to pass and share knowledge :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition