General Care Discussion :: Need substrate recs for a nesting box

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:01 am   Need substrate recs for a nesting box

Turbo is about 2 1/2 years old and about 6 1/2 inches, and has been lately scratching madly to get out of her tank on and off, though she's not really basking any more or exhibiting any other differences in her behavior. I know I need to make her a nesting box, but I don't know what to put in it. The ground is still frozen here, so I can't dig up any soil. Can I use sand mixed with Eco Earth? If not, what brands of soil and sand are safe for my turtle? I'd like to be able to get this done sooner rather than later to ease my anxiety about her becoming eggbound.
bmm1001

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:39 pm   Re: Need substrate recs for a nesting box

Some have used a mixture of potting soil/top soil and sand. More info here: https://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm

Have you felt for any eggs?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm   Re: Need substrate recs for a nesting box

Sorry for the late reply! No, I haven't, and I'm sort of scared to try in case I break them. She also hates being picked up and puts her hind legs right against where'd i'd need to feel.
bmm1001

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:11 am   Re: Need substrate recs for a nesting box

If you have a clean area on the floor, let her roam around and when she stops, go in for a feel. You don't need to pick her up, just a gently feel. And rinse her off before she goes back into the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion