Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm   Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Hi, I just joined the forum. My name is Nick and I've had a male and a female red slider, they have been together in the tank for about 10 years. Today I went to feed them and I discovered 6 eggs in the tank. I quickly went online and found out they need to be out of the water. I found a container and carefully put them in it and under a heat light. Do you think they have a chance to survive?
NSAVA32

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

It depends on how long it was in the water. If they are her first eggs, you should probably throw them away. RES are very over populated too, you might want to get rid of any viable eggs in the future (I know how difficult that decision is).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

What would be the issue with first eggs? I guess I'll see what happens with these eggs. I will take care of any that are born, but if she lays more after this, I guess I'd have to get rid of them.
NSAVA32

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Usually they're a bit small and not the healthiest.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 am   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Did you put the eggs at the exact same position you found them? Do you have an actual incubator, or just a container with a heat lamp? I know some people lost all their eggs after only 1 day underwater, so idk if you will have any luck. :/

By the way, your female WILL lay eggs again, and they will probably be fertile, even if you separated them. Female turtles usually hold sperm for a long time when they mate, in case they don't find another male.
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

I only have them in a container under a heat lamp. They are not looking good they seem very mushy and soft. I handled them gently I'm not sure if they shifted. Thanks for the reply, At least I know more if she lays eggs in the future.
NSAVA32

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Sorry to here it :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Turtle eggs are soft, I think they are even softer when it's the first 'batch'... Which does link to what steve said about first eggs don't usually make the healthiest of turtles. ^^"

Putting them under a heat lamp is usually a no-go because they can overheat easily like that, especially with no humidity and no temperature checks. If in the future you want to try taking care of them, I would suggest building an incubator (which is not that complicated to do, you can see some tutorials around, even videos) so you are ready. :)

An important thing in case you didn't know: Reptile eggs have a pouch of air that forms at the top after they are laid, and if your turn it the embryo will not be able to breathe anymore. It's a common things amongst breeders to draw a little cross at the top of each eggs so they know how to position them in the incubators!

And really, don't feel bad about it. Taking care of exotic pets can already be tricky, now taking care of exotic reptile eggs is another level! I know I would feel too intimidated when the time comes to even consider trying. ^^"
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:15 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Thanks for the info! I should be better prepared if I come across eggs again in the future.
NSAVA32

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:07 am   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Mine just laid about a dozen last night while I was at work first batch I’ve ever seen want expecting that so quite the mess in the tank when I got home any idea on how to tell when she is ready to lay again so I have the appropriate setup for her
dekabreak1000

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:13 am   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

Is she kept alone? Generally, her aggressively wanting to get out of the tank will be the first and clearest sign.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:58 am   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

No she has a proverbial cell mate and they splash around a lot especially when I walk into the room so I didn’t even think about it but I will now thanks
dekabreak1000

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:59 pm   Re: Red eared slider laid eggs! (HELP)

It's a little different when she wants to get out and begging. She won't likely be interested in any food if she wants out. With a male tank mate, she might be gravid frequently.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.