General Care Discussion :: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm   A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce the three actors in this Comedic Fairy Tale which is, my Life. We have the Wife, Jurincka of 18 years, (if anybody can pronounce her name correctly me included $100) Then we have (slowly becoming the Apple of my Eye) BETSY bringing up the Rear the husband, Mike aka (The SAP) It started two before Christmas last year. There was a knock at the door. I (sap) answered the door to a Huge box. It had "GLASS" & "FRAGILE" written all over it with the wife's name right on top. HUM!! The night before we had a SMALL conversation in passing about a Turtle name Betsy. The wife said Betsy had been abandon by another teacher in another classroom. The wife also went on to say that Betsy's tank was very dirty and she didn't know if anybody was feeding her. So, I thought my wife the school's Caretaker of Animals had took on another orphan. Back to the box with glass & fragile all over it, That night the wife came home visibly shaken. Unlike the conversation we had LAST night, this one required a Sit Down. She started with Betsy, she has been taking of her for 2 years and she has Double in size. Betsy in a Red Eared Slider. (WoW) It gets better. The wife (emotional) she's worry for the turtle during Christmas vacation. Keep in mind I (the sap) haven't heard anything about this turtle name Betsy, not even a Peep for 2 years. Now the second part. My wife (emotionally) began to tell me how much Money she has spent and put on credit cards. That's went Betsy and I became acquitted for REAL. There's more to the story if you guy's want to hear more just ask. I think some people are already done with the story including yours truly The Sap. The Question's: Betsy is about 4 or 5 years old Female great health beautiful. Since she has been here she has been PEELING like Crazy. WATER TESTS and my experinec's with turtles and fish. My Wife none except Betsy. Continue pg 2 "BETSY"
Rodan

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Welcome to the forum! I'd like to hear more about your story. Skin shedding and scute shedding is normal, but do keep an eye on growth (should be slow and steady). How big is she now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:00 pm   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Hello Steve, You must be the Big Turtle around here. Your name is all over this site. Thank you for the Welcome and also inviting me to be apart of Turtle Talk. For everybody I'll try to get the information you guys are going to ask for. I'm not good with the computer so be patience. I want your guidance to help me with Betsy. Now back to the story. The sit down and Money. I asked her what's in box a fish tank? You know Huge box with Glass & Fragile all over it blocking the front door. She said yes. I'm now figuring out what's going on. I asked her how big it was she said before you (sap) say anything I know. Then the conversation went a little sideways. (!@#$%$#@#$@!$%&&%$#)!!! She thought the tank was the biggest we could afford and fit in to the space she pick out. Major decisions made from the jump with OUT my input or knowledge or my resourcefulness in getting thing we need or want. I will say, I was very angry with her. I love my Wife she is ONLY reason why I'm still ALIVE to TODAY. She said I know, I said what do you know tank is to SMALL. I said WHAT, to small why did you buy it?? As I sit here today I could have made Three phone calls, to get a 125gal tank. I called my blood brother Noli his dad has a 125gal 1/2in glass temper old school tank in perfect condition freshwater in the garage. Noli said his Dad would probably give it to me for Nothing If I needed it. Please come back for "Rest of the Story" Betsy is watching me over my shoulder writing to you guys. Water test: Ph high range 7.8-8.0 doesn't change no matter what. Ammonia 0.25 same thing. Nitrate NO3 between 40&80 ppm same. Nitrite NO2 0 ppm same. Saturday me and the wife did a 50% water change. I took apart the FLUVAL 406 for the first time and replace all the bag media. I have NO experience with this kind of filtration system. I put in the 2&3 media basket the factory sponge. In the 4&5 basket is the Biomax and Pre-filter all almost Full. In the 6&7 basket I put two carbon 100gr and two zeo-carb 150gr pounces. In 8&9 basket I put polish pads two 100gr carbons and tw0 100gr clearmax. I had to slow the 406 down some how, also it's not making any wired noises. It sounds and feels Very Solid. Betsy really likes it too. (opinions please) The biggest problem I have is the Waste. For now I'm stuck with this tank. I think this is a Good thing Betsy is getting an Outdoor Play ground and it comes with a 125gl pre-formed pond. Man, it must be a WONDERFUL LIFE at Mkie's (the Sap) house being a Turtle. All it's going to take is my WALLET & my BACK. I can't wait either can BETSY!! I will close with saying. In short time I had fallen in Love with that little Turtle!! (don't tell the Wife yet)
Rodan

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

"Big Turtle".... I like it :)

Are you certain Betsy is a female? How big is the tank? Is it returnable? Water testing shouldn't be a huge concern if you have a good municipal supply (can check records online) and regular or partial water changes.

I'm not too familiar with the Fluval 40X series, but check here for the recommended media layout: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288904
From what you described, you can probably simplify it. Buy some carbon in bulk and a few media bags and it'll last for a couple of years.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 am   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Big T, Yes Betsy is a Girl. Wife messed up when she bought that tank it's 40 gallons. She knew it was to small when she bought. I'm having a Hard time with that decision I wasn't privy to. No it can't be returned she got it on a close-out. Big T, my best friend's Dad has a 125gal Breeder in the garage stored put away perfect. I call and he said Mike if you need it, it's yours. I said Thank you Sir I will let you know. The wife isn't going for it because she spent all this money we didn't have or needed to spend. Have you ever heard the saying "It's easier to ask for Forgiveness than it is to ask for Permission" that's what she did. She didn't need to I would have backed her all the way. I would have save well over half what she spent easy, she knows it. (@#$%^%$#$) No more about that. The story just ended. THE END. You know what, us guys have done it too and me more than once and for a Lot more Money. I want to tell everybody my experience with turtles. In the early 70's the kid across the street started going to the desert to race motorcycles. He brought a desert tortoise home with him. He showed it to me a couple days later and I thought it was the Coolest thing. At the time I was 6 years old. I told Robbie I wanted one he said no problem they're everywhere. By the end of 1973 we had Nine of them, to this day my Mom still has two of them there names are Lucy and Ethel two girls. They live in a High Rent area close to the famous HollyWood sign in my Mom's backyard. I could tell everybody a lot of stories over the years about the turtles. Big T the FLUVAL is a series 06 model 406 so far it's the one right decision she made. I will check out that web site about the media lay-out thanks for that. I need good numbers for the water tests, The only one I'm worry about is NO3. Tell you what the turtle Is so MESSY I can't believe. The first time I watched my wife feed her DAMN it was crazy. Tomorrow I want to talk about vets, things to look for health wise. Also I would like people to speak about things I would NEVER know to ask. Remember I'm a Freshee to RES but not to life or animals. Thanks Big T for your interest and your concern in Betsy!! Good Night... P.S. Ever been to Hunt's Point Big T, don't ask, but do tell. See Ya...
Rodan

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

Why not use the 40 gallon as a planted tank to grow some plants and raise some fishy treats for Betsy? A 125 gallon would be a perfect "forever" home... I think the wife would agree. A big plus for a larger tank is less frequent maintenance.

Ammonia and nitrites are more toxic, and while turtles do drink their tank water, they are not nearly as sensitive as fish. If you want to talk about vets, I have a page for that too: http://www.redearslider.com/choose_vet.html

I would pick up a new pillbox and sort out the food, just to make sure she is not overfed. Better to be conservative with food when dealing with RES. Would also like to hear about Lucy, Ethel and their friends! As for Hunts Point, I have not but am interested in a bike ride though the parks there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm   Re: A Freshee' with LOTS of ?'s

more on betsy ???
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Return to General Care Discussion