Habitat - Indoor :: Foamy white bubbles

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm   Foamy white bubbles

Hello friends, Does anyone know what these white foamy bubbles are that are in my turtle tub? I changed all the the stuff in my filter about 2 weeks ago, and since then the bubbles came, it reminds me of a bubble nest a male Betta fish creates. I rinsed everything very good before using it, I have changed the water when it first happened and it's back, any ideas? I've had this turtle tub for about 6 months and this is a first. thanks for any input, Lois
laoisme65

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:10 pm   Re: Foamy white bubbles

Are they large or small? Do they disperse? What do you use to clean the tank? What kind of filter media do you use? What kind of tank is it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:31 am   Re: Foamy white bubbles

Hey, thanks for replying. I have a "turtle tub" by zoomed, that my parents purchased for me about 6 months ago, and these bubbles are a first. To clean it, (and it is a 2 hour process), I dump the water and usually just rinse it out real good, and dry it with a clean towel, fill it up and good to go. I disassemble the filter, rinse everything out, get all algae if any removed, (I recently purchased new internal filters for my filter/pump) rinsed everything out very well, including the carbon, replaced it all. I have had these turtles since 2006, have never seen anything like this small white, foaming bubbles. It reminds me of Betta bubbles, or that foam you seen in a creek sometimes, which someone told me that was bacteria.
It does not appear to be as bad this time after I cleaned it out, so maybe it was a new turtle food I gave them? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, both of these are males, and as they get bigger, are their hormones rising? Sometimes I notice a bit of aggression, again, any input is great, thanks Lois
Attachments
20180222_180737.jpg
turtle tub foam at its worst
laoisme65

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm   Re: Foamy white bubbles

If you're using an internal filter, you might not be getting a lot surface agitation which would disperse most of those bubbles. I'm not sure what's causing those bubbles in the picture, though I've never heard of any sort of food causing it. Maybe there's some sort of break-in period for the tub.

As for having males, yes the aggression will likely escalate.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:45 pm   Re: Foamy white bubbles

Hello, so can you make a suggestion of what I do with these male turtles? Do I find a home for one, or both? How does a person donate a turtle?
laoisme65

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm   Re: Foamy white bubbles

Most RES are hard to re-home, but you might want to find a way to separate them first.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:31 am   Re: Foamy white bubbles

If you have a turtle sanctuary around you can always go there.
I don't understand why you are asking us if you should re-home them, it's your choice after all ^^
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 pm   Re: Foamy white bubbles

I get this in my turtle's tank as well, and doesn't happen all the time. Right now his tank is one week clean and no bubbles; before that it was the usual two to three weeks between cleanings and happened, but the bubbles go away on their own. In between that time, I do rinse out/off all of his stuff and add more water, I just don't change the water and do a complete tear-down except for every 2-3 weeks.
wroblewski05

Return to Habitat - Indoor