General Care Discussion :: Agression or something else?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 pm   Agression or something else?

Hello and sorry if there is already another topic.
I have the following problem, i have 2 yellow belly sliders, about 1 year old, i think they are female and male, it’s not obvious yet and one is smaller than the other one.
So, since 1 week, the bigger one doesn’t let the other to bask, he sinply sticks its head under the little one’s shell and tries to throw it into the water. If he cant’t do this he starts bitting her shell and scratches it with his claws, but not in a way to hurt the other. I don’t know what behaviour this is because in water they smell look at each other, sleep together stay one on top of the other’s shell...the only problem is the basking area which is not small at all.
Also, i realized that, when the bigger one basks and the small one joins it, everything is just fine, only when the small one wants to bask alone is a problem.
I tried to keep them appart for a few hours, and the big surprise was that they were very nervous, and the smaller one was very agitated when i took its friend away.
I don’t want to separate them but if if i have to, i will :(
wildag

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 pm   Re: Agression or something else?

How big is the basking area? Males almost always become aggressive and some females are.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:06 am   Re: Agression or something else?

It s the size Large, before this week, everything was great, i don’t know what happened.
This occurs only if little one is alone on the dock, if the bigger is in the mood to bask he accepts the small one to join.
I don’t know what to do because they always stick together.
wildag

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 pm   Re: Agression or something else?

Personalities do change, and aggression is something that pops up a lot. If it continues, you will likely have to separate.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion