Habitat - Indoor :: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 pm   Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

Good morning,
I wanted to know if this would be okay for my RES's tank? I currently have 2 sliders in a 36x18x52 (36G) and they are about 2in now. I'm trying find some inexpensive substrate because i'm planning on adding plants to the tank in the future.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-0-5-cu-ft-Pond-Pebbles-54249V/100550970

Thanks in advance for the help!
bkdragon31

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm   Re: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

I've been to both Home Depot and Lows (my local big box stores) and were not happy with their river rocks. They are cheap, about $5 for .5 cubic feet, but I found some sharp edges, and was generally not happy with the color. I'm out and about searching myself so am interested in what others say as well, I just wouldn't recommend the specific stones you are looking at.
ekuyper

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 pm   Re: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

I also wouldn't recommend the ones linked. Pebbles/gravel do not make very good substrate. Get sand if you want to cover the bottom. Throw in a few river rock for color/contrast... you can get small bags at dollar stores or IKEA. Are you looking for live plants or fake?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:29 pm   Re: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

i'm looking at real plants like java moss and hornwort. Is the sand difficult to clean?
bkdragon31

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 am   Re: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

It's not too bad, I would say most have bare tanks, sand would be the 2nd most popular. Getting real plants to grow/thrive, thats a different issue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am   Re: Looking for an inexpensive substrate for my RES

^^^^ What Steve said.

Bare bottom is easiest to clean. Sand works very well but it does shift around quite a bit with a turtle.
Real plants are difficult. Most RES will nip at them or uproot them as toys. Once in a while you'll find a passive fellow who will leave them alone but that's definitely not the norm.

If you go bare bottom but hate the look, you can paint underside of the bottom glass with textured spray paint. It will look like sand.
VeipaCray

Return to Habitat - Indoor