Habitat - Indoor :: Filter recommendation

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 pm   Filter recommendation

Hi--
I've been trying to find a canister filter that I can start to use on the 75g tank I have. I have one red ear slider and one yellow belly slider, both about 4 to 4.5 inches from front of shell to back of shell. I am trying not spend several hundred dollars. Is there something out there that won't cost more than $125 and that won't be a nightmare for me to use. I keep seeing various ones for sale......SunSun, Fluval, Penn Plax, etc. and I discover that there almost always seems to be a bunch of bad reviews with people who have had terrible experiences with them.
Thanks for any wise words of advice on this!
Robert
RLN

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 am   Re: Filter recommendation

For your budget, I'd probably get a Penn Plax Cascade. SunSuns are pretty cheap quality, Fluval only gets interesting with the FX filters. As for reviews, it's normal to get mixed ones with aquarium equipment and it's probably only worth reading the extensive hands-on ones.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 am   Re: Filter recommendation

Thanks for the suggestion. I just saw on the local Craigslist listings a Fluva 406 and a couple of Eheim 2217 canister filters. The Eheims were $105 and $110. I think the Fluval was $120. Do you know anything about the quality of that Eheim? Thanks!
RLN

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:11 am   Re: Filter recommendation

Eheim is a quality brand. I'm not a fan of the Fluval x06 style canisters, though many people do use these. The price on the used Eheim 2217 depends on it's condition (you should really buy all new media for any previously owned filter) and it is a bit underpowered for 2 turtles in a 75G.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm   Re: Filter recommendation

Got it.....buy new media for a used filter--thanks! So you think the Penn Plax Cascade has more power (and has equal or higher quality of materials used) for my situation than the Eheim 2217? And what should I look for with a used filter to make sure it's in good enough shape to be worth buying?
Thanks!
RLN

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 pm   Re: Filter recommendation

I'm just going by specs since I haven't used either brand. Eheim has higher end models like Fluval and is well regarded. Either will not keep up with your turtle needs in the future, unless you have to separate them.

For a used filter, look at the age of the filter, any cracks on the canister, trays, and lids. O-rings usually last a long time, but you should carefully inspect them too. Listen for any rattling, and make sure the impeller is intact and working. Also check the product pages to make sure you're not missing anything (strainer/suction cups) and that the hoses are not cut too short for your setup.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:32 pm   Re: Filter recommendation

Ok, thanks! In the future, what brand(s) and model(s) of filter would be able to handle the two turtles?
RLN

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 pm   Re: Filter recommendation

One other thing.......at what point would I need to get something bigger/better--what would be the indicator(s) for that? Thanks!
Robert
RLN

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:47 pm   Re: Filter recommendation

What are your turtles genders? @ 4", you should be able to tell if you have males. Males almost always need to be separated, so you need to keep that in mind with what you can deal with. Moving ahead, the FX6 is probably the best option for turtles now. A few use 2 of them with very large setups or go with a custom DIY solution.

A guideline we go by is 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length. So a 4" turtle should be in at least a 40 gallon tank, and the filter should be rated 2x or 3x for that tank.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor