Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle acting strange?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm   Turtle acting strange?

Hello! I have two RES turtles both 9 years old. They live in a 125 gallon pond in my backyard with two sand banks they Like to bask on with much more room. It's fenced off. I BELIEVE one is female and the other is male. Although just recently it's begun to look like the female may be male. They get along just fine though and enjoy each other's company. I've only noticed this happening the past few days, but one of my turtles, Maria, has been scooping up large mouthfuls of the sand (very fine sand) and taking it into the water. She does this on and off throughout the day and I haven't seen her eat it. But she goes in and out of the pond scooping up sand and going back into the water. I have no idea what she's doing. Any ideas? I've never seen her do this.
Hdelbaugh

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm   Re: Turtle acting strange?

Gotta be the first time I've heard of this. Some have speculated a turtle biting a lot of tank objects might be related to a craving for calcium, though I am highly skeptical. As for Maria, does she have any other symptoms? Does she bask normally? Is there substrate in the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm   Re: Turtle acting strange?

No other symptoms at all. Completely normal basking, eating, swimming, her shell is nice and Healthy. I don't put anything at the bottom of the pond but of course there is a build up of sand due to them collecting it on their shells when they bask and bringing it back in with them. We have plants in the pond so I can't see what exactly she does with the sand when she brings it back in with her. I've never heard of it either so I'm lost as to what it could be. maybe she's just weird.
Hdelbaugh

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm   Re: Turtle acting strange?

Turtles do have a wide range of personalities, so I would just continue keeping a close eye on everything. And welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 pm   Re: Turtle acting strange?

Thanks! (:
I'll just continue to watch her for now.
Hdelbaugh

Return to Other Turtle Discussion