Habitat - Indoor :: white film on top of water

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm   white film on top of water

Hi everyone,
I have a 12 year old RES in a 100 gallon aquarium. Recently I did a water change, and a week later this white film appeared on the water. I have never had this happen before. I do monthly water changes (partial), as the water always stays pretty clear with the filter. I will make another water change again and will clean up the filter (RENA XP4). Hopefully that will clear it up. I have uploaded a picture here: https://imgur.com/a/vldc9

Do you guys have any idea what it could be and should I be worried about it?
Thanks!
turtle193

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 pm   Re: white film on top of water

Could be mold but I think it might be dispersed semen. Hard to say. I would bet it out and do a change/cleaning again.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:07 am   Re: white film on top of water

:shock: That's weird. he is a male, so I guess it could be... but it has never happened before.
Thank you! and yes, I will clean the tank again.

I have read that a bubbler could help film like this mix in the water and get picked up by the filter... do you think it could be a good idea?
turtle193

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am   Re: white film on top of water

I mean, if you have nothing in there, like wood, that could contribute to mold growth and its never been an issue, then yeah... :lol:

Bubbler or any surface agitation (like a filter outflow) can keep the water looking cleaner. Increases evaporation and noise a bit though but will break up oil/protein slicks.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor