Habitat - Indoor :: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm   My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Hello I have had the rena XP3 for about 10 years now, but 2 days ago it stopped working. I plug it and it does not turn on. I am now looking to buy a new filter and would like some recommendations. I would like something that cleans good but is also easy to clean. I absolutely hated cleaning this filter, but I may have also been doing it wrong. I now have a new born and have moved away from my parents, where the turtle is. I would go and clean it ofcourse but would have less time now that I have a baby. I also liked how the priming was on the XP3, so would like something easy to prime.

Im very confused as to what to choose, Ive looked at the Fluval 406 but seems pricey and people say its not worth the money. I was going to go with the xp3 again but people say the parts now suck and it isnt made the same. I dont know how i feel about the filters with the UVB light in them, rather they not have that.

Please help.
My boyfriend found my RES, Rocky, being attacked by pigeons in the streets of Queens, NY. I think he's a teenage mutant ninja turtle!!!
ILoveRocky

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

I have a Penn Plax 1500 and would not hesitate to get another. They are reasonably priced, easy to get parts for, and perform nicely. The 1500 is rated at 350 GPH and has a large volume for media. I have a 125 gallon tank that houses an adult male RES and have had no issues except the return strainer may pop off. In order to prevent this a bit of silicone will keep it attached. Here are some suggestions suggestions that may help you. On a big tank its hard not to have some areas where the flow is "stagnant". I use small circulation pumps to avoid this problem. The filter can't pick up debris if it is not floating in the water column. So the circulation pumps take care of that issue. Aqueon pumps are inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I also have a bare bottom tank, which makes housekeeping easier. In addition I have floating plants like water lettuce to keep things filtered and provide vegetation for my turtle.The water lettuce multiplies so rapidly the turtle can't kill it off. Good Luck
Bearcub
Bearcub

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Yea, it's best to stay away from the new XP stuff. One of mine (has to be 13 years old at this point) has a hard time starting up after I clean it. I usually have to open it up and top off the water, because even after it self-primes, there isn't enough water in there. I'm not big on Penn Plax, but the Penn Plax 1500 does seem pretty good for the price.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Hi Steve,
What types of canister filters do you prefer? I know that the FX series are good filters but they are quite expensive. Are there any reasonably priced filters that you have had good success with?
Thanks
Bearcub

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

I haven't been extensively looking at filters for a long time. For a budget filter, a hang-on filter like the AquaClear is good. Penn Plax canisters seem to be the best name-brand budget canister. The FX6 is actually considered reasonably priced for it's class. There are ton of knock offs and clones that people have had success with, but I've never bothered with them. If you have any plumbing skills, it might be better to make one.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Steve,
I'm in exactly the same place as you. I picked up a FX6 and it's just been sitting in the box waiting to be put into service. I have two Penn Plax filters I've used over time and had good luck with them. I have no other knowledge of whether they are good or bad except my own use. I was just curious if there were some other low cost filters that were popular for RES. Thanks for the info. :)
Bearcub

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

No problem. Since turtles live such a long time, and maintenance can be a big chore I think the more expensive options make cleaning a bit easier too. Glad to hear Penn Plax is working out for you, good for me to know about more options. :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:58 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

I chose the pennplax, could someone tell me how I sent up the media? Same as xp3? I have ceramic rings and I think bio balls from my xp.
My boyfriend found my RES, Rocky, being attacked by pigeons in the streets of Queens, NY. I think he's a teenage mutant ninja turtle!!!
ILoveRocky

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288938

You can probably skip the bio balls in just use the rings.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Thanks Steve. So what do I do with the white sponges they provide?
ILoveRocky

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 pm   Re: My XP3 is now dead what filter can you suggest

Are they coarse or fine? I'm not sure what kind they are.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor