Urgent Care :: shell rot?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 pm   Re: shell rot?

Yeah, you will need to stick with a good pellet and be stricter with the diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 am   Re: shell rot?

Hi, you could always order on Amazon if you aren't sure where to buy your UVB light.
Try tough love method for feeding. No animal will let themselves starve if there's food. Once they taste the pellets and understand it's food, usually they'll go for it a lot easier after.

Until you have your lamp back, I would suggest to take your turtle out for a couple of hours per day.
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 am   Re: shell rot?

Its winter in pa so that's a no go, do any of you know of a lamp that does both heat and uvb? Would like something like that so Im not using so much power . Just tight on money at the moment that's why I haven't been able to order a new one.. Starting tomorrow I will try harder to get "her" to eat the pellets
I haven't tried hard cause Ive been told they mostly eat live stuff as babies so I didn't think it was an is
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:12 pm   Re: shell rot?

You're talking about a mercury vapor bulb (mvb). Not cheap, but they last longer and produce more UVB than other bulbs. Mega-Ray / http://www.reptileuv.com/ is the most popular one... probably the only one worth recommending.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 pm   Re: shell rot?

I ordered. ( that word seems fake aha ) a sun power 100 watt bulb that says it produce's uvb and heat today from a different site, did some research and it had alright reviews and was only a total of 23 something so I figured why not try it. It should be here lasted by Thursday next week, if it doesn't work ( ill be so upset cause of how long that means my peaches went without proper lighting ) ill return it and buy from that site thanks for the help... Really hope its just growth and everything is ok
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm   Re: shell rot?

100 watt mvb is pretty powerful, so make sure it's not too close and I would really recommend an infrared thermometer. They cost about $12-15 and highly useful in general (home repairs, cooking, turtle temperatures, etc).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm   Re: shell rot?

It is powerful but that's why im using it... I have a 250 watt heat lamp I have it almost 2 feet over the basking. Area it lights up the whole tank that way..... Also helps keep the water warm on that side of the tank.... Yrs I have a big enough water heater but its one that turns on when it. "Feels" the temp drop. So with how my setup is that light won't burn my turtle.... Also order some Java moss to put in the tank. I read they like it but won't eat it all and it'll give my turtle more natural feeling. Should also help keep the water stay clear longer. I don't like fake plants for many reason the biggest reason is the fact if they try to eat it.
Menaxe93

Previous

Return to Urgent Care