Urgent Care :: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:19 pm   12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

Hello,

Roughly 5 days ago, I realised 2 patches on the bottom of his neck. Initially i thought it was due to the friction as he has saggy skin. However, it is not getting better. Any idea what this could be caused by? Photo link attached as I am unable to upload the photo here.

https://imgur.com/a/SkgbR

Thank you
pearlynswee

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm   Red eared slider neck emergency

Hello,

I missed out the answers in my previous post so i am reposting with more information.

5 days ago, i realised small red patches under his neck. Initially thought it was due to friction on loose skin but the size of the patch seemed to have grown. What causes this ?

I have attached photos. Please help!

https://imgur.com/a/56XPQ
https://imgur.com/a/56XPQ

How big is your turtle? -
How long have you had it? 12 years

What is the water temperature? -
Did you use a thermometer? No
Are you using a water heater? No
How much water is in there? Enough to submerge his shell
Are you using a water conditioner? No
Are you using any filtration? No. We change the water at least 2 times daily

What is the basking temperature? When outdoors, room temperature is 28-31 degrees Celsius.
Is there a basking light? No. We bring him outdoors so the only light available is sunlight.
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? He is placed in a big sotrage container and we provided an incline for him to dry himself
What kind is it or what is it made out of?-
Is there a UVB light? No

What have you been trying to feed it? Only eats nutrafin
When was the last time your turtle ate? Eating normally

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window? In the morning he's placed outdoors but we bring him in at night
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No
pearlynswee

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:38 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

Are there other reddish areas? Does the skin feel different (harder)?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

steve wrote:Are there other reddish areas? Does the skin feel different (harder)?

Thank you for the reply.

When i first noticed the red patch, it felt normal. However, now it feels thicker and harder, almost like calluses. The weird thing is that there seems to be one small area with skin puncture.

His skin is pretty flabby around the neck so i thought it was due to friction against the plastic container. Nothing sharp in the tank. The patch does not seem to be gettin g better. No other red spots observed on him.

Should i try betadine?
pearlynswee

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:06 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

A small callus or two usually goes away by itself. Bacteria can cause a film over the skin or shell and look pinkish, but deeper red like in the pictures could be from bruising or an internal infection. I would have a vet take a look at him and maybe do some blood tests.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:21 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

steve wrote:A small callus or two usually goes away by itself. Bacteria can cause a film over the skin or shell and look pinkish, but deeper red like in the pictures could be from bruising or an internal infection. I would have a vet take a look at him and maybe do some blood tests.

It seems to have some slim when i touch it. On the right side, it has hardened up and is more pinkish than reddish . Only on the left side have i noticed a tiny skin puncture. Would it be safe to try to treat it with some betadine first?
pearlynswee

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:10 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

Betadine might help a little, but I wouldn't expect much in terms of results. Is there a picture of the puncture?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:10 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

steve wrote:Betadine might help a little, but I wouldn't expect much in terms of results. Is there a picture of the puncture?

https://imgur.com/a/gdY27

Redness went down overnight even before applying betadine, it is pinkish now rather than reddish. I circled the puncture sites. Really odd because it seems like he is shedding some dead skin as well on the area which has hardened a little. Could this be some sort of fungus/surface bacteria?
pearlynswee

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:15 pm   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

Looks much better. I'm not sure what it could be, I've never had any workup done on this sort of problem, but the smaller ones do go seem to go away by themselves. The punctures are very odd and even if its getting better, it should still be monitored.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:30 am   Re: 12 years old RES has rash-like patch on neck

steve wrote:Looks much better. I'm not sure what it could be, I've never had any workup done on this sort of problem, but the smaller ones do go seem to go away by themselves. The punctures are very odd and even if its getting better, it should still be monitored.

Yes i am closely monitoring his condition. Thank you for your help thus far. :)
pearlynswee

Return to Urgent Care